Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He feels uncomfortable.....

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

My husband always gets up and leaves the room henever I begin to breastfeed. What should I do to make him feel more comfortable with the fact that breasfeeding is better for the baby????

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babymine
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Have you talked to him about it? What makes him uncomfortable?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds to me like he just needs to get over it. Not much of the breast should be exposed during nursing, so why is he uncomfortable?  You need to talk it out and don't give up:)

mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

even if the whole breast is exposed hes her hubby im sure hes seen it b4 maybe hes jealous i know my dh has admitted to me that hes jealous because of the bond me and ds have plus im the only one that can feed him. talk to your dh that may be part of his problem too

Quoting fortressmom:

Sounds to me like he just needs to get over it. Not much of the breast should be exposed during nursing, so why is he uncomfortable?  You need to talk it out and don't give up:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
PortiaRose
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Why can't she just let him feel that way? She probably want to breastfeed and now she wants to control how he feels about it?? Poppycock.

Quoting mommytotwinz:

even if the whole breast is exposed hes her hubby im sure hes seen it b4 maybe hes jealous i know my dh has admitted to me that hes jealous because of the bond me and ds have plus im the only one that can feed him. talk to your dh that may be part of his problem too

Quoting fortressmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Try and talk to him about it..Maybe he feels left out..or maybe he thinks you may want your privacy..Maybe he leaves because the site of your breast makes him aroused..Whichever it is I'm sure you can work it out by asking him

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:10 AM

It's not poppycock by any means. This is the sort of thing that can lead a mom to quitting before she really wants to, unless she's of the mind that her husband's opinion doesn't really matter. (I personally am of that mind when it comes to things I've researched and he hasn't. He gets a say when he does the homework. And he's been getting better about doing homework so we really have fewer disagreements now than we did when we were first married nearly 20 years ago.)

OP... talk to him about it. There should be NO subject that's taboo between the two of you; everything is on the table in a marriage. If it's bothering you, you should talk with him about it and find out what's bothierng HIM. You may be able to find a middle ground. (Fair warning... when YOU hit the 20 year mark some of the conversational topics will seem less than scintillating. Colon polyps, for example, are currently a major topic for us!)

Quoting PortiaRose:

Why can't she just let him feel that way? She probably want to breastfeed and now she wants to control how he feels about it?? Poppycock.
Quoting mommytotwinz:

Quoting fortressmom:

PortiaRose
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Marriage discussions shouldn't be research paper workshops.

Also, he isn't voicing hispleasure with her breastfeeding, he would just rather not watch it.

Quoting gdiamante:

It's not poppycock by any means. This is the sort of thing that can lead a mom to quitting before she really wants to, unless she's of the mind that her husband's opinion doesn't really matter. (I personally am of that mind when it comes to things I've researched and he hasn't. He gets a say when he does the homework. And he's been getting better about doing homework so we really have fewer disagreements now than we did when we were first married nearly 20 years ago.)

OP... talk to him about it. There should be NO subject that's taboo between the two of you; everything is on the table in a marriage. If it's bothering you, you should talk with him about it and find out what's bothierng HIM. You may be able to find a middle ground. (Fair warning... when YOU hit the 20 year mark some of the conversational topics will seem less than scintillating. Colon polyps, for example, are currently a major topic for us!)

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting mommytotwinz:

Quoting fortressmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PortiaRose:

Marriage discussions shouldn't be research paper workshops.
????? Who said anything about a research paper workshop? You've lost me.
Also, he isn't voicing hispleasure with her breastfeeding, he would just rather not watch it.
And it's making her uncomfortable. My observation over the years is that when Dad makes mom uncomfortable, either verbally or non-verbally, it can become a serious problem. Talking it out can head the problem off at the pass. He may still wind up walking out. That's fine and his prerogative. But it's not unreasonable for her to want an explanation of why, and perhaps together they can find a place where they are both comfortable.
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:14 AM
4 moms liked this

Nurse in the same room as the Xbox.  >.>

WorkingMommy931
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I agree with the others- ask him what's going on but also tell him how it makes you feel when he leaves. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN