Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do I know if I am drying up or not?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just posted that I have been nursing for 12 mnts as of the 1st of Dec. Now Im working more and trying not to nurse in the middle of the night. and from time to time it might be a little painful. I am not pumping and I am no longer interested in pumping at this point either. Buttt what if i dry up and she cant get any milk at her nap time or bedtime anymore?? any advice?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NorasMom190
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM

is it still supply and demand if you are only nursing 2 or 3 times a day? sometime only once?

newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It takes a long time to dry up unless you took something or did something to dry your milk up..If your still nursing at all your milk should be there

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ceckyl
by Kyla on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. It is always always always supply and demand. Some older toddlers we even only nurse once a week.

Quoting NorasMom190:

is it still supply and demand if you are only nursing 2 or 3 times a day? sometime only once?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

As long as baby continues to nurse, even if it is just once a day, or even every other day, you will continue to make milk. Even if aby is only nursing a couple of times a day, then baby gets sick and you stay home with baby and baby suddenly nurses 12 times a day while he is sick, your body will make what he needs.

It is really common for toddlers to have really irregular nursing patterns. Once a day here, 5 times a day for a couple of days, and so on. It all works! 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I agree with above posters.

I work 1 day a week & have since DS was 14 months old. I don't pump, haven't had to (I get engorged a little, especially in the beginning weeks) & haven't had any issues, even with having change ups in the day (sometimes Mondays, sometimes Thursdays, etc)

My friend has a 2 year old who still nurses in the morning, at night, and on the weekends. No issues with supply.

Good luck with taking away night nursing! DS is 18 months & has finally reduced to 2 feedings most nights.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Even if you don't nurse it takes months to dry up. She will be able to get milk for as long as she wants, as long as you don't get pregnant (tends to be a supply zapper), go on estrogen birth control (known supply killer) or get a double mastectomy (for obvious reasons).

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

And yes, it's still supply and demand. We've known toddlers to nurse once a week and still get milk. My own son was one of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)