Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Formula companies claiming to pro-breastfeeding

Posted by   + Show Post

What a joke! I am due Dec 9th with a planned c-section on the 3rd and I have already recieved 5 containers of formula. Not small one either. It is the big powder sizes. I never even signed up for these "freebie". I have even gotten bottles from them and offers for a free diaper bag. But then they send along a little note with some tips ho to breast feed. I have found this humorous for some reason. I guess it is just the irony of it. Here take our free sample of formula along with the wonderful bottles but we support breast feeding mothers. WHATEVER! If you did then why not a cover up for NIPing or some some nipple pads or something like that as a free sample. Ughh. Just had to throw this out there and see what others thoughts are on this. My hubby won't even let me donate the cans to the local food pantry or the bottles because hey we may need these. I had supply isseues with my youngest Daughter so he wants to be "prepared". I keep talling him I am more educated with this baby and understand my body alot better this time. So there won't be issues. But anyhow. Hope everyone has a great Sat.

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting hlzcmjzajz:

I got absolutely nothing formula related when I had my daughter in Feb... As a matter of fact, I got nothing when my son was born in 2008 either; I wonder why so many of you get this stuff & I didn't? Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't have used it anyway- I'm just curious?

Did you fill out a baby registry form? Or perhaps subscribe to BabyTalk or another free baby magazine? Or fill out an info card at your doc's? 

Did you deliver at a baby-friendly hospital, or even at home?

If you flew "under the radar" of the marketing folks, then you wouldn't have gotten anything because they don't know you exist. They collect info from many different sources.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

That's good. Hasn't been the norm, unfortunately! Which company provided the useful pamphlet? 

Quoting susie3g:

I agree with most of this but the pamphlet they gave me was actually very useful. There was no information in there that you ladies would disagree with. I couldn't just get on the PC anytime I wanted and come ask you ladies my questions. The pamphlet was right there and I utilized it. Regardless of why they put it there, I used it as a breastfeeding mom who needed help at the time and I didn't even have to hear "well if you can't deal with it, then you're just looking for an excuse to not breastfeed," which is what happened when I finally did get a chance to go to the computer and ask my questions. 
susie3g
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I think it was Similac. It was about 7 pages of information. Maybe it hasn't been useful to many others because a lot of them didn't even read through the info. It even talks about the colostrum and how you shouldn't fret or give up because it takes 3-5 days for your milk to come in but that the colostrum is all your baby needs until your milk comes in. The part I found most useful in the beginning was the signs of a good latch. The part I refer to still is regarding milk storage.

Quoting gdiamante:

That's good. Hasn't been the norm, unfortunately! Which company provided the useful pamphlet? 

Quoting susie3g:

I agree with most of this but the pamphlet they gave me was actually very useful. There was no information in there that you ladies would disagree with. I couldn't just get on the PC anytime I wanted and come ask you ladies my questions. The pamphlet was right there and I utilized it. Regardless of why they put it there, I used it as a breastfeeding mom who needed help at the time and I didn't even have to hear "well if you can't deal with it, then you're just looking for an excuse to not breastfeed," which is what happened when I finally did get a chance to go to the computer and ask my questions. 
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

formula companies will NEVER be truly PRO- breastfeeding..It would be Bad for business and they would lose money..They act like they are so it look better..But deep down their sharks swimming in a pool waiting to bite

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MissTacoBell
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM
3 moms liked this
To he honest, this "formula is trash" thing gets old. All you moms telling her to toss it in the garbage are aweful. Babies go hungry every. Shelters are in DIRE need of that stuff. How selfish to suggest throwing it out JUST because you were fortunate enough to BF successfully. Yeah I said fortunate. Cause you are.

If I were a pregnant mom I'd be so turned off by how you guys act sometimes.

And they don't send you "useful" bfing stuff in place of that formula because *gasp* they only make formula. Ffs folks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
josieinga
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I didn't mean to start a debate. I just found it humorous and all. I never recieved any of this stuff with my now 13 year old and my now 8 year old. But I am recieving lots of it with this one. Was just stunned at how wasteful these companies are. Yes I did do a baby registry as a matter of fact one was at toys r us and the other was at Targets. That is probably where they got me from. Everything I have filled out states breastfeeding. As for throwing this stuff away I am donating it to the local womens shelter seeing as if the food bank wouldn't take it due to it having a shelf life. I am sorry to have started this thread seeing as if it upset some. When I said something about the cover up or nipple pads I wsa simply stating that if you were truly pro breast feeding then you would not be sending bottles and formula out. But then again I also stated that it is a true irony that they even claim to be pro BFing due to being a formula company. Any how my main thing I was just trying to say was it amazing that companies are already placing doubt in one's mind before they even try. I personally fell victim to this with my last daughter and now know where I messed up and I am prepared with JJ to know better. Again sorry to have started such a debate.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
It is very rare for there to be correct information to be in those pamphlets.

Quoting susie3g:

Quoting gdiamante:

This is a long-standing formula marketing technique. Probably about 20-30 years old. They are not supporting breastfeeding, just giving it lip service. They will NEVER provide a cover or anything truly useful. The idea is to plant self-doubt and then to have their product right there.

Donate anyway. Your husband isn't allowed to allow or disallow anything, you know. Tell; him it's a donation to help someone who really needs it, or it goes down the toilet. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I was never fortunate to BF successfully and i suggested tossing the formula away...soo... if you have that can in the house you can be tempted. Just one formula bottle wont hurt. Plus, why have something in the house youre not going to use. I understand heres people in shelters who need food for their kids but IMO...no place to live or food, why would i rely on formula to feed baby when i can breastfeed for free and will know baby wont starve...

Quoting MissTacoBell:

To he honest, this "formula is trash" thing gets old. All you moms telling her to toss it in the garbage are aweful. Babies go hungry every. Shelters are in DIRE need of that stuff. How selfish to suggest throwing it out JUST because you were fortunate enough to BF successfully. Yeah I said fortunate. Cause you are.

If I were a pregnant mom I'd be so turned off by how you guys act sometimes.

And they don't send you "useful" bfing stuff in place of that formula because *gasp* they only make formula. Ffs folks.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I'd rather see the formula go to a shelter. Unless it's too old or contaminated, of course. I donated what I got.
12yrmama
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I got free stuff too. So what?

Why do we assume that other moms are weak minded? If they choose formula they must have been thinking about it anyway.

We should be mad about the lack of pro-breastfeeding materials going out. We have very little breastfeeding information going to the masses. It's just not marketed through the media.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)