Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Which pump is your favorite?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Which pump do you prefer?

Options:

Medela Pump in Style

Ameda Purely Yours

Hygeia Enjoye

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

For those who pump, which pump do you like the best?

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Medela

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Depends on the frequency of the pumping. I pump twice a day and I love the medela hand pump. When I worked full time I liked the medela pump in style advanced
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I use a Medela Symphony, I love it.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I used a medela Lactina. All three of your candidates are EXCELLENT and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM
I personally am anti-Medela because of their business practices. The others are are fine and pretty much equal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Can't really say which I prefer, as I've only used the Ameda Purely Yours.  But I've had great luck with it, so I do like it a lot! :)

MisfitInTN
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I love my medela pump in style
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Here's why I prefer Hygeia (my first choice) and Ameda (my second choice) over the Medela:

In our opinion, the top three single user pumps on the market today are:
Pump Brand/Model
Cost range
Warranty
Mechanics
WHO-CODE
Hygeia Enjoye*
$180-300
3 year
Closed system
Compliant
Ameda Purely Yours
$150-180
1 year
Closed system
Compliant
Medela Pump in Style
$250-350
1 year
Open system
Non-compliant
*Sold in the category commonly referred to as single-user pumps; Hygeia is the only pump company that has sought and received FDA approval for their pump to be used by more than one person.

What is the difference between an open and closed system pump? 

With an open system, if milk or condensation makes its way into the tubing, it is possible for mold to begin to grow in the motor. There is no way to clean the pump motor, and any mold spores present could come through the tubing and possibly into contact with the expressed milk. Furthermore, if the pump is second-hand or was used by another mother, germs from one mother or her milk could contaminate the milk in the same way. An open system is built to be a single-user system only.

Closed system pumps are just what they seem: there is no way for the milk to come into contact with the motor. Theoretically, any closed system pump could be safely used by more than one person (each with her own tubing and other external pump parts). 

What is the WHO CODE, and why is it important to consider when buying a breast pump?

The “WHO CODE” is short for the World Health Organization’s International Code of the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. Part of the purpose of the WHO CODE is to protect breastfeeding by preventing aggressive marketing of breastmilk substitutes and artificial nipples. Many people prefer to purchase a breast pump from a company that is supportive of and compliant with the WHO CODE.

More information on both the breast pumps, the WHO CODE, and open and closed systems can be found at: The Problems with Medela
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I hate to hijack OP's post..But I wanted to ask you about being anti-maedela because of their business practices..Do you mind explaining this or give links please?

Quoting IrishIz:

I personally am anti-Medela because of their business practices. The others are are fine and pretty much equal.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting newbabystarr09:

I hate to hijack OP's post..But I wanted to ask you about being anti-maedela because of their business practices..Do you mind explaining this or give links please?

Quoting IrishIz:

Their marketing violates the WHO code. Check out the inks here (particularly the Problems with Medela)

What is the WHO CODE, and why is it important to consider when buying a breast pump?

The “WHO CODE” is short for the World Health Organization’s International Code of the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. Part of the purpose of the WHO CODE is to protect breastfeeding by preventing aggressive marketing of breastmilk substitutes and artificial nipples. Many people prefer to purchase a breast pump from a company that is supportive of and compliant with the WHO CODE.

More information on both the breast pumps, the WHO CODE, and open and closed systems can be found at: The Problems with Medela

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)