Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Constipated baby ****UPDATE****

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

DD is 9 1/2 months old.... she started solids a month back.. So far she has eaten sweet potatoes and pumkin puree both homemade....

A week ago my husband fed her too much sweet potato...since then she seems to be very constipated... My sister watched her a few times and noticed the baby straining to poop and she has tears in her eyes...and the poop was constipated... I have completely stopped solids since a week and we are EBF...

But she is still constipated... What can I do?

****UPDATE**** - DD finally pooped today and it all came out with an explosion..lol... She pooped twice today and looks like her constipation is gone... thanks so much for the support ladies !!!!

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Just continue with nursing only (little to no solids). It should get better.

Also look up baby led solids - there is no need to spoon feed babies, and going baby led means she will stop eating when she feels like she is full.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy722
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Have you tried a little bit of water? Like 1-2 oz. When DS was constipated at about 3 months, the MD told me to give him that, not in place of a feeding, but extra once a day. DS wouldn't take it but maybe yours will?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Babies that are breastfed should not get water.  Breastmilk is a natural laxative, so it should be nothing but breast for fluids until age one. 

Quoting MedicMommy722:

Have you tried a little bit of water? Like 1-2 oz. When DS was constipated at about 3 months, the MD told me to give him that, not in place of a feeding, but extra once a day. DS wouldn't take it but maybe yours will?

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, mom!  It happens. 

Nothing but breast for the next few weeks.  That will get her back to normal.  It does take time, considering the back up.  Then you will see that she will "break loose' and probably poop several times in a few days.  :)  Poor baby. 

And do NOT use Karo Syrup, or Stimulate her "behind" with a thermometer. Breast milk it a natural laxative, and should kickin soon.  :)

Quoting happymom6:

DD is 9 1/2 months old.... she started solids a month back.. So far she has eaten sweet potatoes and pumkin puree both homemade....

A week ago my husband fed her too much sweet potato...since then she seems to be very constipated... My sister watched her a few times and noticed the baby straining to poop and she has tears in her eyes...and the poop was constipated... I have completely stopped solids since a week and we are EBF...

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I 100% agree! :)

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Hi, mom!  It happens. 

Nothing but breast for the next few weeks.  That will get her back to normal.  It does take time, considering the back up.  Then you will see that she will "break loose' and probably poop several times in a few days.  :)  Poor baby. 

And do NOT use Karo Syrup, or Stimulate her "behind" with a thermometer. Breast milk it a natural laxative, and should kickin soon.  :)

Quoting happymom6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juliet8826
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You could try giving her a little bit of prune. We scooped out the middle part of a prune and put it on a spoon for my daughter to self feed (we do baby led weaning too and love it by the way) when she was a little consitpated after starting solids and it seemed to help. But nursing should sort it out too. Just make sure that her belly doesn't start to feel hard at all, that's a sign that you'll need to get a doc involved.

Juliet8826
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

OH and massaging her belly in a clockwise motion, bicycling her legs, and soaking in a warm bath are all things that might help as well.

XVAmomma
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM
These helps my baby.

Also eat more fiber yourself. You'll pass the benefits thru BM.

Quoting Juliet8826:

OH and massaging her belly in a clockwise motion, bicycling her legs, and soaking in a warm bath are all things that might help as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticgodess
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Juliet8826:

My chiro told me that.  Clockwise to speed it up, counterclockwise to slow it down.

happymom6
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Thank you so much.... I will follow ur advice since I hate all that anal stimulation, prune juice etc....

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Hi, mom!  It happens. 

Quoting happymom6:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)