Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I am dooming myself

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM
  • 10 Replies
Dd is 7 months today (yayy huge accomplishment for us lol) anyway so not the point of this but she sleeps on my chest nightly. Am I dooming myself???

I know w ff it's best if they don't sleep on you bc then they could have a problem sleeping on their own. Is it a similar rule of thumb for bf babies?? The only reason it started was bc she was eating constantly at night and well I have other children and need to be able to function.

Now she will sleep in her bed if she falls asleep bf and then sleeps on me a bit. Should I stop this or will se outgrow it???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:39 AM
She'll outgrow it :)
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Promise?!?? Lol.

I miss my time w dh and he's worried I'm creating a huge monster lol

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM
No promises she may be a hischooler sleeping on your chest :P
Right now your comforting and baby feels safe.with you. When she cant feel/smell/hear you she feels insecure and scared. As she gets older and finds the big wide world she'll grow more confident and secure in herself and less dependent on you. But this will be progressive not magically at 6mo, 18mo etc.
if you need time with dh try placing her down after shes sleeping for a little while.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Promise?!?? Lol.

Quoting melindabelcher:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You know you were doomed the instant sperm met egg... **grin** 

No, you're FINE. They ALL learn to sleep on their own when THEY are ready. When YOU are ready for it has nothing to do with it, of course... you'll find that's the numebr one feature of parenthood. Nothing happens when you're ready for it.

Relax. All good. Even if you were formula feeding!

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

She'll outgrow it! Can't say when, but she will! I slept like that with all 3 of my kids, and I promise, my 10 year old and my 6 year old twins don't do it anymore LOL 

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I know a lot has to do with her gettin her teeth and that's not helping us at all.
I'm hoping after these teeth come in she will go back to the sleeping on her own baby we had about a Month ago.

I thought I was doing it all right but she is our first bf baby so these growing spurts and teething times are totally different then thy were w our older 2 ff babies

Quoting melindabelcher:

No promises she may be a hischooler sleeping on your chest :P

Right now your comforting and baby feels safe.with you. When she cant feel/smell/hear you she feels insecure and scared. As she gets older and finds the big wide world she'll grow more confident and secure in herself and less dependent on you. But this will be progressive not magically at 6mo, 18mo etc.

if you need time with dh try placing her down after shes sleeping for a little while.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Promise?!?? Lol.

Quoting melindabelcher:

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Lol it's uncharted territory for us and ideally I would like her sleeping (mostly) in her own bed at oh a year or so. I want to ttc come Summer.

Quoting gdiamante:

You know you were doomed the instant sperm met egg... **grin** 

No, you're FINE. They ALL learn to sleep on their own when THEY are ready. When YOU are ready for it has nothing to do with it, of course... you'll find that's the numebr one feature of parenthood. Nothing happens when you're ready for it.

Relax. All good. Even if you were formula feeding!

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM
She was sleeping good then she hit 6 months. Lol

Now a month later I don't mind but I do miss my time w dh. Btwn dd2 in bed w us and him working crazy hours.... Neither are helping lol

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

She'll outgrow it! Can't say when, but she will! I slept like that with all 3 of my kids, and I promise, my 10 year old and my 6 year old twins don't do it anymore LOL 

shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Eventually they won't want to sleep with you anymore. At least that's what happened to me. My DH works 2nd shift and I got used to falling asleep with both of my oldest in bed with me and once they moved on to their own toddler beds they blew me off instead wanting to sleep in their big boy/girl beds. Now the only time they sleep in my bed is when they aren't feeling well or have had a bad dream at night.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I'm glad that I'm not alone in this lol
But I worry when we move (we are in the process of buying a home where the kids would have their own room) that dd2 won't be wanting to sleep in her room.then I don't know what I would do. I also don't want the 2 year old that fights her own bed. I know it may be selfish, but is live to have another baby by then and omg I cannot imagine having a nursing infant and a 2 yr old whose still sleeping in bed lol

Quoting shortyali:

Eventually they won't want to sleep with you anymore. At least that's what happened to me. My DH works 2nd shift and I got used to falling asleep with both of my oldest in bed with me and once they moved on to their own toddler beds they blew me off instead wanting to sleep in their big boy/girl beds. Now the only time they sleep in my bed is when they aren't feeling well or have had a bad dream at night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)