Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here!!!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey ladies, I'm Heather. Breastfeeding my 3rd child. Nervous, about going back to work and having to pump. Any suggestions?

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I'll start with: Don't be! **smile** Been there done that, as have many of us here.  If it's any encouragement to you my observation over the years is that the most successful long term breastfeeders weren't SAHMs.

Couple of tips from a former road warrior:

1. Know how much you need. Baby's need is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So far an eight hour work day, that's 8-10 ounces. Your serving sizes will be about 3 ounces. Four at the outside.

2. Know your rights. If your workplace has more than 50 employees on the payroll (and that's nationwide) then you must be afforded time to pump. They don't have to give you paid breaks but they do have to give you hassle-free breaks. And they have to make a reasonable effort to find you a place that is NOT the bathroom.

3. Know your equipment. A good double electric is a must. Ameda Purely Yours is the least expensive of the good systems, at under $200. 

4. Make sure your caregiver knows how to feed. Slow flow nipple, forever. One ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. Last feeding about 90 minutes before pickup time. Baby should be hungry when you arrive. The idea is that the bottle is just to stave off the worst of it, the feast is at the breast.

That's for starters. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please ask!

mamatocaleb
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Awesome advice!! I have pumped before-mostly for date nights, but I never worked outside of the home until now! We don't have 50 employees there BUT my managers are women and amazing. They know, I breastfeed, they encourage it! I am just nervous about preparing myself for it. I'm half tempted to leave my pump at the facility just so I never forget it!

When my son is on solids, I will still have to pump, obviously, but I'm curious how my body will adjust with the pumping. I know it sounds silly, but I only pumped before maybe 5 times total in their first years.

Quoting gdiamante:

I'll start with: Don't be! **smile** Been there done that, as have many of us here.  If it's any encouragement to you my observation over the years is that the most successful long term breastfeeders weren't SAHMs.

Couple of tips from a former road warrior:

1. Know how much you need. Baby's need is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So far an eight hour work day, that's 8-10 ounces. Your serving sizes will be about 3 ounces. Four at the outside.

2. Know your rights. If your workplace has more than 50 employees on the payroll (and that's nationwide) then you must be afforded time to pump. They don't have to give you paid breaks but they do have to give you hassle-free breaks. And they have to make a reasonable effort to find you a place that is NOT the bathroom.

3. Know your equipment. A good double electric is a must. Ameda Purely Yours is the least expensive of the good systems, at under $200. 

4. Make sure your caregiver knows how to feed. Slow flow nipple, forever. One ounce, burp. Next ounce, burp. Last feeding about 90 minutes before pickup time. Baby should be hungry when you arrive. The idea is that the bottle is just to stave off the worst of it, the feast is at the breast.

That's for starters. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please ask!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)