Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is he eating enough?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

DS was exclusively BF until 6 months. We introduced real foods first (avacado, banana) and he didn't want either. AT ALL. Mixed in some baby oatmeal and water and he... eeh... kinda warmed up to it a little. Anyway, he's almost 8 months now. The pedi said she wants him on two meals a day at this point. I serve him jar food at lunch and dinner time (or grinded up table food, whichever is available... I try to go with table food because he likes it better). Thing is, he only eats about half a jar at each sitting. Doesn't seem like much for an 8 month old.

I recently started buying him snack foods like Gerber cheese puffs and ginger root cookies. He doesn't really like those. He does like foods he probably shouldn't eat though... toast, yogurt (he had an allergic reaction to this... pouring runny nose and sneezes like crazy... it was plain organic Stonyfield, not YoBaby, and only a bite or two of mine).

Okay, back to the point. Is he eating enough? It doesn't seem like much for a 21 lb 8 month old. He's still nursing plenty and goes through plenty of diapers, so no worries there.

Also, when do you introduce a sippy cup? And with what in it? Breastmilk? Or a little watered down apple juice? My MIL tried to tell me he was thirsty because he kept reaching for her wine glass at Thanksgiving. Mmkay sure lady.

And just because I need to say it somewhere... I'm so over people saying, "So are you ever going to give him any formula?" *eyeroll*

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

If he's staying in range for height and weight, meeting his milestones, and putting out enough diapers per day, then you really don't have to feed him any solids at all.  

When I first introduced the sippy cup, i put just plain water in it and I didn't require her to finish it or anything.  It was just for practice.

happymom6
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Great job with the BF.....she doesn't need to eat a lot if ur feeding her solids after nursing... She needs to nurse first and then feed on solids... Her prime source of nutrition should be from ur breastmilk... Solids r just fr practice and taste development...

I think 21 lbs is great at 8 m... DD is 9m and is only 15 lbs... So no worrie if she's having enuf wet diapers in a day..

I introduced a sipping cup around 1 yr..no urgency there... BM Will suffice !!!!

FORMULA SUCKS... it's great that they never have to taste that shit !!!!! LOL...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting amandae21:

DS was exclusively BF until 6 months. We introduced real foods first (avacado, banana) and he didn't want either. AT ALL. Mixed in some baby oatmeal and water and he... eeh... kinda warmed up to it a little. Anyway, he's almost 8 months now. The pedi said she wants him on two meals a day at this point. I serve him jar food at lunch and dinner time (or grinded up table food, whichever is available... I try to go with table food because he likes it better). Thing is, he only eats about half a jar at each sitting. Doesn't seem like much for an 8 month old.

That's actually a LOT. Especially considering the jars are mostly water. He should be nursing first,. also.

And neve mind what the ped wants... they get their nutritional training from infant food manufacturers. Not exactly unbiased.

I recently started buying him snack foods like Gerber cheese puffs and ginger root cookies. He doesn't really like those. He does like foods he probably shouldn't eat though... toast, yogurt (he had an allergic reaction to this... pouring runny nose and sneezes like crazy... it was plain organic Stonyfield, not YoBaby, and only a bite or two of mine).

Okay, back to the point. Is he eating enough? It doesn't seem like much for a 21 lb 8 month old. He's still nursing plenty and goes through plenty of diapers, so no worries there.

If he got one teaspoon full a day he'd still be eating enough. Or NOTHING in solids per day. The breastmilk is all that matters. The solids do not; they are dessert and  nutritionally are not of any importance.. So he's eating plenty.

Also, when do you introduce a sippy cup?

Birth is early enough. **grin** Or whenever you like after that.

And with what in it? Breastmilk?

Yes.

Or a little watered down apple juice?

No juice. Juice is sugar. He doesn't need it. He's sweet enough.

My MIL tried to tell me he was thirsty because he kept reaching for her wine glass at Thanksgiving. Mmkay sure lady.

And just because I need to say it somewhere... I'm so over people saying, "So are you ever going to give him any formula?" *eyeroll* 

You're doing fine and he's eating plenty. No worries for you.

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Solids aren't necessary until after a year of age. They are for fun and exploration until then. Jar foods are basically flavored water with some synthetic vitamins thrown in, so table foods are better if you choose to offer them. Your milk is plenty and obviously he's getting everything he needs from it:) Smile and nod your head when the ped tells you he needs two meals per day.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM
This!
My 8mo isn't on solids at all

Quoting fortressmom:

Solids aren't necessary until after a year of age. They are for fun and exploration until then. Jar foods are basically flavored water with some synthetic vitamins thrown in, so table foods are better if you choose to offer them. Your milk is plenty and obviously he's getting everything he needs from it:) Smile and nod your head when the ped tells you he needs two meals per day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Him being 21 lbs should tell you! He is eating plenty. At this point food isn't even necessary. Boob juice is what he needs. And sounds like you are doing great. Let him eat what you do (within reason) and see if he reacts. If he does don't ket him have it anymore. And if he isn't interested, don't force him.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Just read the last couple of paragraphs. You can introduce a sippy at anytime. You can give him water wiyh his solids or a bit of juice if you wish but same goes for solids.... nurse first! And more than likely he just wanted to play with the glass.... mil's are strange creatures! Sad to think that one day we're going to be them!! And our dil's are going to think the same :/
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Use caution with those puffs! My one dd loved them, and I'll admit I was excited to see her eat and let her eat too many. She got so constipated. My fault. None of my 4 were really eating solids around 8 months, but shortly thereafter, started on bits of table food they self-fed. I never worried about solids before a year. My kids were closer to 15-18 months before they were eating much at all.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Same happened to my dd with the puffs. It didn't even dawn on me that they're pretty much rice cereal in cute little solid form lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Use caution with those puffs! My one dd loved them, and I'll admit I was excited to see her eat and let her eat too many. She got so constipated. My fault. None of my 4 were really eating solids around 8 months, but shortly thereafter, started on bits of table food they self-fed. I never worried about solids before a year. My kids were closer to 15-18 months before they were eating much at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

8 months is still young... he could be eating nothing in the way of solids and be fine.

I'd personally stop all the baby foods (snack food for an 8 mo old?) and offer your table foods... doesn't need to be ground up at all.  

And water in a sippy.   Don't want to waste precious BM and they don't need juice.    Learning to drink and like water is important!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)