Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My nipples!!!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
Well really it's just the left side. It hurts sooooo bad when ds 2 nurses. He's not but 1 day old and it's hurts every time he latches. Is there anything I should do or that might be doing wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
masonsmommy107
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
BumP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Check latch, it can be good on one side and bad on another, check for lip and tongue ties. 

Jeckers
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

What is tongue ties?  My nipples are sore too, but I figured it was just from bad latches because son is new at this.  :)  Figured sore nipples were part of the whole new baby on the boob thing!  :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Tongue tie is a pretty common problem with newborns. The frenulum is too tight, making the latch uncomfortable. It used to be a common practice for midwives to cut the tie themselves. Not done so commonly in our modern age!

Tons of info here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

OP, it does sound precisely like tongue tie. Get to an internationally board certified lactation consultant for help.

Dimples04
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Not trying to be ugly but why is cutting a tongue tie not considered some form of mutilation but a circumcision is looked at as awful.

Quoting gdiamante:

Tongue tie is a pretty common problem with newborns. The frenulum is too tight, making the latch uncomfortable. It used to be a common practice for midwives to cut the tie themselves. Not done so commonly in our modern age!

Tons of info here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

OP, it does sound precisely like tongue tie. Get to an internationally board certified lactation consultant for help.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Good question, actually! I'll give you my take on it. It's not anyone's official position, just mine own.

A tongue tie can prevent proper feeding. Baby could starve. Tongue tie can also cause speech impediments. So clipping the tongue tie is considered necessary, like removing a distended appendix.

Circumcision (and please keep in mind that I did circ my son) is generally not an issue of life or death. A baby won't go hungry because he's intact. It's not necessary from a survival point of view. Circumcision is more socially mandated than medically mandated.

Quoting Dimples04:

Not trying to be ugly but why is cutting a tongue tie not considered some form of mutilation but a circumcision is looked at as awful. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)