Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My nipples!!!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
Well really it's just the left side. It hurts sooooo bad when ds 2 nurses. He's not but 1 day old and it's hurts every time he latches. Is there anything I should do or that might be doing wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
masonsmommy107
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
BumP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Check latch, it can be good on one side and bad on another, check for lip and tongue ties. 

Jeckers
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

What is tongue ties?  My nipples are sore too, but I figured it was just from bad latches because son is new at this.  :)  Figured sore nipples were part of the whole new baby on the boob thing!  :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Tongue tie is a pretty common problem with newborns. The frenulum is too tight, making the latch uncomfortable. It used to be a common practice for midwives to cut the tie themselves. Not done so commonly in our modern age!

Tons of info here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

OP, it does sound precisely like tongue tie. Get to an internationally board certified lactation consultant for help.

Dimples04
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Not trying to be ugly but why is cutting a tongue tie not considered some form of mutilation but a circumcision is looked at as awful.

Quoting gdiamante:

Tongue tie is a pretty common problem with newborns. The frenulum is too tight, making the latch uncomfortable. It used to be a common practice for midwives to cut the tie themselves. Not done so commonly in our modern age!

Tons of info here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

OP, it does sound precisely like tongue tie. Get to an internationally board certified lactation consultant for help.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Good question, actually! I'll give you my take on it. It's not anyone's official position, just mine own.

A tongue tie can prevent proper feeding. Baby could starve. Tongue tie can also cause speech impediments. So clipping the tongue tie is considered necessary, like removing a distended appendix.

Circumcision (and please keep in mind that I did circ my son) is generally not an issue of life or death. A baby won't go hungry because he's intact. It's not necessary from a survival point of view. Circumcision is more socially mandated than medically mandated.

Quoting Dimples04:

Not trying to be ugly but why is cutting a tongue tie not considered some form of mutilation but a circumcision is looked at as awful. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN