Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

None of my business but...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
It's still breaking my heart.

A friend of dh's and mine had their baby at 34w. He was 5lb11oz, and breathing on his own. BUT, the drs that delivered him hurt him pretty bad.
She went in at 1:30am after her water broke. She wasn't in labor. No contractions at all. She thought she was gonna be on the ante partum, instead they made her go into labor w/ pitocin. Every time they got to a 3, his heart rate dropped to the 40s. :( they prepped for a Csec twice. When he finally came out (after 17 hours of pit), he was bruised and scratched and swollen from the fluids and pit. They literally think the induce contractions were squeezing him. They went as far as to tell my friend that it was because her pubic bone was too small (haha. Whatever. It's not!!). So then they admit him to the NICU. They have her attempt to nurse w/ baby on breast 1 time in 24 hours, and gave her a pump w/o instructing her what to do.
Now baby is on formula since they were careless. They inserted a feeding tube today (he is 5 days old) since he wasn't drinking the full 3oz of formula.

I want to cry!! I want to tell her to make them stick it!! I want her to put baby on breast and not let him off!

And yet I keep my mouth shut. Cuz it's none of my business. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM
3oz of formula????!! I'd get my baby out of there so fast!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Thats insane :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats crazy!!!!
I would request a transfer asap
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Be there for her when baby gets out. And you might do some investigating about the hospital. If there were any prior complaints, it will be recorded with the state health department. And you can find out oif there's an ombudsman or an equivalent who handles patient complaints. Because this mom definitely should complain. These people could have done even more serious harm to her baby.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Wait they want a 34wker to take 3 ounces! my 34wker wasnt on that much till almost a month of age. She needs to either get a transfer or put her foot down and nurse. You do NOT stay out of it, she needs you. 

bellaamore
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Omg! My daughter was ten pounds at birth, and when she was hospitalized three days later for jaundic they gave me such hell because she wouldnt take an ounce an hour in a bottle. And that was a big baby at three days old. 

eykelley
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I completely agree w/ all of u. I am in shock, especially since I have an interview w/ this hospital Thursday for their Post Partum unit. Part of me is frightened, and the other part really hopes I can help PTs there not be so uneducated.

My friend is a bit hard headed. She has a hard time w/ people telling her what to do. Hell, when I went and saw the baby last week I told the NICU RN that I thought he felt wet and she was upset that I did that!

So, dh has told me to stay out of it. I have tried before and she never takes my advice. And she already has a huge issue w/ dh and won't even be around him. (He said he doesn't like her sister (she is very stuck up and rude) and my friend felt it was disrespectful and wants nothing to do with him now).

I just feel bad for the baby. :(
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Agreed.. that poor baby! 

Quoting gdiamante: Be there for her when baby gets out. And you might do some investigating about the hospital. If there were any prior complaints, it will be recorded with the state health department. And you can find out oif there's an ombudsman or an equivalent who handles patient complaints. Because this mom definitely should complain. These people could have done even more serious harm to her baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN