Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think my supply might be dropping

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
I had my son little over two weeks ago and I've noticed when I go to pump I'm not even making half of what I was even three days ago. I try to pump at least 3x a day and was trying to not let my milk adjust after engorgement so I can get a good milk stock pile going in my freezer and so I would have an easier time with milk donation if I decided to do it, which now it's looking like I won't be able to :( I wen from getting 6 oz from each breast to getting 3 oz from each breast.

It has been a sudden change as I was having no issues on Saturday but yesterday and today its like woah where'd my milk go?! I have been giving baby a breast milk bottle when he goes down the first time for the night but he nurses throughout the night and then all of the day. He hasn't had an increase in feedings or amount so I don't know what the deal is. I'm supper bummed that I haven't been able to get much in a pumping session :( Should I start taking supplements to help boost my supply?
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Your regulating some which is normal. Also your still pumping above average. Normal out put is .5-2ozs both breasts combined. Also why are you giving a bottle at night an how big is the bottle? I would just nurse at night instead and save that milk you were giving at night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Your supply is adjusting. Having an over supply can actually cause problems. What you are pumping now is still way more than average. Congrats on the new baby:)
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:40 AM
This.

Quoting shortyali:

Your regulating some which is normal. Also your still pumping above average. Normal out put is .5-2ozs both breasts combined. Also why are you giving a bottle at night an how big is the bottle? I would just nurse at night instead and save that milk you were giving at night.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM
3 oz is still quite high production, more than the normal .5-2oz combined from both breasts, and even now youre getting triple that, at a combined 6oz. You're still really early in supply production and will regulate in time. **The only indication of low supply is low diaper output. Even herbal supplements for supply can have side effects for some moms with certain health conditions or on certain meds, so that route is for last resort. And your supply still sounds high already. Pumping before 6 weeks or so isn't usually recommended unless absolutely necessary.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I'm still tying to process your numbers, but you're pumping enough now that you're body is producing like you have twins. 3 times a day at 6 ounces total each time, so 18oz/day on top of Breastfeeding your baby? That's just about enough for an entire second baby. And you *were* getting double that? 36oz is more than a 2 week old takes in.

Seriously, at this early early stage, just spend your time and energy on supply and demand with your newborn and in a month, evaluate your oversupply and what you think you want to accomplish with milk donation.
jj_bmom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Quoting shortyali:

I.give him a bottle so hubby can bond with him and he seems to sleep a little longer afterwards, about 3 hours instead of his average 2. The bottles are 3 oz which seem like to much milk to me but anything less and he crys for more.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM
A full feeding right now would be 1.5-2oz max. Your body needs him to nurse at night, that's what keeps your supply up and tells your body how much milk to keep making. Every bottle that's given is milk that's not being made. Bottles are for when you aren't with baby. There are tons of things daddy can do to "bond" with baby. :)

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting shortyali:

I.give him a bottle so hubby can bond with him and he seems to sleep a little longer afterwards, about 3 hours instead of his average 2. The bottles are 3 oz which seem like to much milk to me but anything less and he crys for more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM
This. Daddy can bond by changing diapers, giving baths, cuddling, helping with bed time routine and so on. Also at this age babies are supposed to wake often to help with your supply. I would scale back on the pumping for now so that it doesn't cause issues later on.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

A full feeding right now would be 1.5-2oz max. Your body needs him to nurse at night, that's what keeps your supply up and tells your body how much milk to keep making. Every bottle that's given is milk that's not being made. Bottles are for when you aren't with baby. There are tons of things daddy can do to "bond" with baby. :)

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting shortyali:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Right now you don't have a real supply problem. But I'm afraid you are heading towards one because of those nighttime bottles. Reserve bottles for when you're not there.

Two hours at a time is a pretty standard sleep stretch, and when he wakes remember it means he's safe from SIDS!

jj_bmom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Right now you don't have a real supply problem. But I'm afraid you are heading towards one because of those nighttime bottles. Reserve bottles for when you're not there.

Two hours at a time is a pretty standard sleep stretch, and when he wakes remember it means he's safe from SIDS!

Always grateful when I hear his little sqwak (sp) of a cry :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)