Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

7 months and not sitting up

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

I wasn't quite sure where to turn or if I should be as worried as I am, but thought maybe ome of you ladies ight be able to put my mind at ease.  As a lot of you know, Jordyn was born almost 2 monts early and wa so surpriingly perfect, she didn't need to go o the NICU.  We ave had our struggles with bfing, but have beenusing alact aid and donor milk since I have hypoplasia and despite how much hard work is involved, we are lstill loving every minute of it and plan on continuing as long as she will let me.  Well, she turned 7 months yesterday and sheis still not ab to sit up on her own yet.  She an roll over both ways, and when she is on her belly, she canlift her chest completely off the floor ook around and even scoot herself in circes while on her belly.  I have been seeing all my friends' babies who areonly within weeks of age from her that are able to sit up on thei own and even crawl and it makes m worry that there is somehing wrog with her.  DH tells me I have to rememer she is a preemie and that she will get it when she is ready, but i just cannot help but worry in the back of my mind.  Any thoughts??  Should I be worried??Is there anything I can do??  All of my other 3 kids were early hitting their milestones and I just cannot understand why she seems so behind to me.  She acts like she is right on target with almost everything else except for that and saying mama or dada (which I know really isn't sthing to worry about lol).  Thanks so much for your help!!

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Well you said she was born early.so her adjusted age is 5 mts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM

exactly...I have a preemie child. It takes longer. Depending how much longer is also dependent on how premature and any issues baby had. Yours didnt have many problems. So from the sounds of it I bet it wont be too much longer. she seems to have the strength. Dont worry yet!

Quoting piwife:

Well you said she was born early.so her adjusted age is 5 mts

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM
She's a preemie hon! Give her time :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM

A) She's a preemie B) not all babies sit up by 7 months and C) she is scooting in circles!

She's fine...don't sweat it. :)

jocelynred
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM

my son was born 4 weeks early. he always did everything just at the end of "normal". he made me almost start to worry about every milestone. then he'd do it! lol! he didn't roll over back to front and front to back until 8 months. he wasn't really sitting up on his own at that point either. but then he went from sitting, to crawling, to pulling himself up on things in about a month. if you want to help her along make sure you give her plenty of time on the floor to practice. she's getting her muscles strong and ready when she's on her tummy. and she can sit propped up or with your legs or pillows around to catch her. sounds like she'll get the hang of it in a few weeks.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM
My not preemie daughter didn't sit up until 8 months :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

This all sounds like normal development to me. She WAS born two months premature. So her development can be judged two months behind, even if other things seem bang-on. Everything you're saying she's doing just proves there is nothing wrong.

BrittM1988
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

My now 10 month old didn't sit up til 7.5 months, now at 10 months he stands, cruises, crawls, and walks a few steps on his own :)

newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

My ds didn't sit up on his own until he was 8 1/2 months and he was not a preemie he was full term and over due date..Give it time she will..

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

She is still 5 months adjusted age and sitting unsupported is still within the normal range up to 8 months--she has 3 more months to go before she would be considered even mildly delayed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)