Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

DH wants me to breast feed, but.....

Posted by   + Show Post

good morningNeeding some advise.... I have a 7 year old son from a past relationship. With him i did not breast feed i didnt even attempt it either. We just recently found out we were expecting. My DH is really wanting me to breast feed. Ive said that i would try it out. But then there are times were im just like no im just going to bottle feed. Yes i know all the pros about breast feeding but in some ways to me it grosses me out the fact that my child is sucking on my breast. I dont know.... i know this is weird and selfish. i just need some help on making the right choice. PLEASE HELP!!!  embarrassed

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Jess0915
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

It's great that your DH is on board, that will help. Once you get going, it's so different than you thought it would be. Lol. Sounds odd, but you'll see once you get started.

Don't over-think it, don't stress about it. Get basic information that you need, questions you have answered too, and then leave it at that. Keep it simple. They will help you in the hospital, if you have an overabundance of information right now, you may feel overwhelmed. I know I did when I first started. I nursed all four of mine, but I wasn't as successful with my first two as I have been with my second two. Education helps, but remember you can always come here or go to kellymom.com for information if you need it.

If you have a birth plan, make sure nursing is in your birth plan so they don't give the baby a bottle. If they give a bottle, it may make your life a little harder getting started.

christineT79
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I just had my first baby 3 months ago & I felt the same way too. Once I started all those weird feelings stopped & I love it now. I think when you see your baby on your breast all those sexual thoughts about your breasts go out the window. It's a totally different feeling than what I thought it was gonna be. I was also shy even in front of my hubby about my breasts being out but now all that is out the window too. I feel like my breasts are always out now. lol.

MissAngel13
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Jess0915 yea your right about the overload on info. Sometimesi tend to stress myself out more then i should about things lol. so for now ill just get help here and get me some books and just be patient for the big day!!

MissAngel13
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quoting christineT79:

I just had my first baby 3 months ago & I felt the same way too. Once I started all those weird feelings stopped & I love it now. I think when you see your baby on your breast all those sexual thoughts about your breasts go out the window. It's a totally different feeling than what I thought it was gonna be. I was also shy even in front of my hubby about my breasts being out but now all that is out the window too. I feel like my breasts are always out now. lol.

I really appreciate your feedback. Makes me feel so much better knowing im not some kind of wierdo for thinking like this. Im really looking foward to the bonding experience with my LO.:)

Jess0915
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That's definitely a good idea. :) Also, I set myself goals. I was going to not give up (no matter what!) for the first month. When I made it to a month, I set another goal, 1 year! When I reached that goal, I set another. Baby steps help it feel less intimidating. And really any amount of bfing you can do will be awesome for baby. I was kind of silly, I'd say things like "we made it a month! I get ice cream as a reward!" Haha.

Quoting MissAngel13:

Jess0915 yea your right about the overload on info. Sometimesi tend to stress myself out more then i should about things lol. so for now ill just get help here and get me some books and just be patient for the big day!!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Just offering some encouragement mama, you've been given some great advice! :)
Look into the books that were suggested and definitely stick around here, you'll learn alot and get all the support needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissAngel13
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Quoting Jess0915:

That's definitely a good idea. :) Also, I set myself goals. I was going to not give up (no matter what!) for the first month. When I made it to a month, I set another goal, 1 year! When I reached that goal, I set another. Baby steps help it feel less intimidating. And really any amount of bfing you can do will be awesome for baby. I was kind of silly, I'd say things like "we made it a month! I get ice cream as a reward!" Haha.

Quoting MissAngel13:

What happens if the baby doesnt latch at first?... Can i pump and then try again? or is that it they put them on formula?

Jess0915
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MissAngel13:

Quoting Jess0915:

Quoting MissAngel13:

What happens if the baby doesnt latch at first?... Can i pump and then try again? or is that it they put them on formula?

If baby doesn't latch at first, try try and try again. It's a learning thing for baby sometimes and patience is a virtue. Baby will not starve, so don't let them try to tell you if baby doesn't latch right away baby needs formula. Talk to an LC asap after baby is born. My DD2 was a little difficult and we had to use a nipple shield at first because I had flat nipples and she had a lip tie. That made it difficult. But,with the shield and patience, it all worked out. You can pump if you have to, but I encourage you to still try very often to latch baby first, before giving a bottle of bm. Sometimes using a pump is also good for pulling the nipples out a bit so baby can latch easier. I got rid of the nipple shield after about a week and then started pumping for just about a 30 seconds before latching baby on. Worked like a charm. But, you probably won't even have that issue, lol. I'm the only person I know personally who had that happen. Chances are in your favor that things will run smoothly and baby will learn how to latch within the first few attempts. :)

MissAngel13
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Quoting Jess0915:

Quoting MissAngel13:

Quoting Jess0915:

Quoting MissAngel13:

If baby doesn't latch at first, try try and try again. It's a learning thing for baby sometimes and patience is a virtue. Baby will not starve, so don't let them try to tell you if baby doesn't latch right away baby needs formula. Talk to an LC asap after baby is born. My DD2 was a little difficult and we had to use a nipple shield at first because I had flat nipples and she had a lip tie. That made it difficult. But,with the shield and patience, it all worked out. You can pump if you have to, but I encourage you to still try very often to latch baby first, before giving a bottle of bm. Sometimes using a pump is also good for pulling the nipples out a bit so baby can latch easier. I got rid of the nipple shield after about a week and then started pumping for just about a 30 seconds before latching baby on. Worked like a charm. But, you probably won't even have that issue, lol. I'm the only person I know personally who had that happen. Chances are in your favor that things will run smoothly and baby will learn how to latch within the first few attempts. :)

Awesome ok thank you for that. I will def not give up. :) high five

Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you decide to nurse your baby with mother's milk!!

A very normal, beautiful experience! 

Google Best for Babes Foundation

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN