Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Moms of boys I need your help! EDIT.

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 147 Replies
So I've been reading a lot online about circumcisions. I don't want to get it done. One of my main reasonings is that it can affect the baby when it comes to breast feeding. I've read that it causes them to not do it.

So my question is if you had a boy and had him circumcised did you have any trouble getting him to breast feed?

Thank you ladies! It seems only a few of you had a little trouble. I appreciate all of the information you have given me and I will be talking to my husband about all of this! Thanks again. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missamanda86
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Both of my boys are circ'd and both have milk allergies. Due to not researching with my older son, I stopped BF'ing him at 3 months. My youngest is 7months and BF's just fine :)

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Both of my boys are circ'd and nursed just fine. DS1 I forced weaned at 7 weeks due to other issues and lack of support and knowledge. DS2 is 16 days old and nurses like a champ. He was back to his bw at his 1 week appt.
babylove041810
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM
So him getting circ'd didn't affect him bfing at all?

Quoting missamanda86:

Both of my boys are circ'd and both have milk allergies. Due to not researching with my older son, I stopped BF'ing him at 3 months. My youngest is 7months and BF's just fine :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never attributed our breastfeeding problems to circumcision but rather to the meds I was given in delivery. It's entirely possible the circimcision contributed. For me it's an academic question but if I was ever to give birth again I'd labor for an entire year before agreeing to be given meds; they gave me pitocin, nubain and then an epidural. There has been some research indicvating possible problems with breastfeeding after an epidural.

babylove041810
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM
That's good to know. I've been scared. I tried to bf my dd but she wouldn't do it so this will be my first time and I don't want anything messing it up.

Quoting shortyali:

Both of my boys are circ'd and nursed just fine. DS1 I forced weaned at 7 weeks due to other issues and lack of support and knowledge. DS2 is 16 days old and nurses like a champ. He was back to his bw at his 1 week appt.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I cannot recall anyone ever reporting circumcision specifically causing a problem with breastfeeding. But EVERYTHING is possible.

missamanda86
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

No he had heart trouble, reflux, plus the milk allergy. It was too stressful and I finally just gave up

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting missamanda86:

babylove041810
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Maybe that's why dd didn't bf? I was given an epidural and pitocin. I'm planning on doing it natural this time. As long as the baby is safe that is.

Quoting gdiamante:

I've never attributed our breastfeeding problems to circumcision but rather to the meds I was given in delivery. It's entirely possible the circimcision contributed. For me it's an academic question but if I was ever to give birth again I'd labor for an entire year before agreeing to be given meds; they gave me pitocin, nubain and then an epidural. There has been some research indicvating possible problems with breastfeeding after an epidural.

babylove041810
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Is he ok?

Quoting missamanda86:

No he had heart trouble, reflux, plus the milk allergy. It was too stressful and I finally just gave up

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting missamanda86:

mama2gg
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM
I've never seen any real evidence this is true I have heard it and seen websites that are against circ. Throw it out there to scare moms in a other way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)