Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here we go....

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
Aubrey turns 4 months Thursday. All of a sudden this week Aubrey is no longer satisfied with 3 ounces every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or at least that's what her daycare teacher told me. She needs more milk, and most moms start cereal. I responded the aap no longer recommends cereal at 4 months and its not really the best first food at all. She looked at me crazy! Tomorrow I'm giving her printouts from Kelly mom. Aubrey was with dh all day and said she was fine with that amount. She was only in daycare less than 3 hours today. My mom kept her when she was sick last week and said the same. I kind of am wondering if she just said that because she knew dd was turning 4 months. If that's the case and she's lying I need a new daycare!

Oh and she said oh we had to feed her early, she just couldn't wait. I look at her chart and they went almost 3 hours. i said if she was starving why didn't you feed her at 2 1/2 hours? She didn't realize she could eat half an hour early. Her feeding instructions say a 3 oz bottle every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chelsea_rh
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Definitely give her some printouts! That is awful if she just said that because of her age. And who is she to tell you your dd needs cereal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM
I know, I'd like to think she wouldn't say it just because of her age, but it seems kind of fishy that she tells me she is starving and no longer satisfied 2 days before she turns 4 months.

Quoting Chelsea_rh:

Definitely give her some printouts! That is awful if she just said that because of her age. And who is she to tell you your dd needs cereal?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Sounds like an older lady who is used to a lot of mothers passing thru that do not do their research
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM
She's not even that old,35 maybe. When I put her bottles in the ice box all the other babies are between 6-8 ounces, so she probably thinks its crazy Aubrey only get 3. More than likely those moms ff. most people around here try to bf, but almost all stop when going back to work. I think it all boils down to other moms being uneducated. I posted this vent on FB, and got about a hundred comments saying I started cereal at 3 months (or sooner) and my baby was fine.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Sounds like an older lady who is used to a lot of mothers passing thru that do not do their research

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Keep a close tabs on the situation. And pay attention to your instincts.
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Definitely keep an eye on that.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:49 AM
Yea fine for now! And this was the standard for many many years! I think that some people either just don't want to let go of tradition or don't want to acknowledge they may have done something wrong with their own kids. I would also inform her that cereal can actually cause anemia in bf babies

Quoting eagerforbaby:

She's not even that old,35 maybe. When I put her bottles in the ice box all the other babies are between 6-8 ounces, so she probably thinks its crazy Aubrey only get 3. More than likely those moms ff. most people around here try to bf, but almost all stop when going back to work. I think it all boils down to other moms being uneducated. I posted this vent on FB, and got about a hundred comments saying I started cereal at 3 months (or sooner) and my baby was fine.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:25 AM
I actually had to provide a doctors note to my daycare stating that he was ok with her not getting rice cereal and that only sending 6 oz for a 7 hr shift (she nurses When I drop her off and again when I pick her up) was ok. The 4 month old in her room is taking 6-8 oz of formula at a time'. It's so sad to be following best practices and need a doctors note to do so!
Angel_Red7
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

There is a difference between "fine" and striving to the best level possible for that child.

i am glad I dont have to worry about daycare at this point. I'm not too sure I could handle it...... An ounce to an ounce & a half an hour. I'd trust what your family said and stick to it. 

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

And most of these moms don't realize that the troubles they're laying down NOW won't be seen for several decades, either. Many of them won't live long enough to see the troubles they've sown for their babies by setting up triggers for things like Crohn's disease.

Quoting Angel_Red7:

There is a difference between "fine" and striving to the best level possible for that child.

i am glad I dont have to worry about daycare at this point. I'm not too sure I could handle it...... An ounce to an ounce & a half an hour. I'd trust what your family said and stick to it. 

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)