Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First time nerves. Breastfeeding in public.

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 21 Replies
Tomorrow is our first appointment since Elena has been born. We've gone on one quick outing since she was born and she slept the whole time but tomorrow's appointment is all the way in the city and they'll be poking her and messing with her so I know that between the amount of time we'll be out and her being handled by others she's going to want to nurse. I've gotten to where I'm pretty comfortable nursing around my family and I feel pretty unexposed at home but I've also been wearing my robe since the day we got home. I don't think a leopard print robe is appropriate for running errands lol. Dh says that I'll be fine and to bring a blanket if I think I need to. I'm super modest and I'm not sure what I'd do if someone had something negative to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Most likely nothing will be said. I've been Breastfeeding for over 2 yrs and never had anything said to me out and I Breastfeed anywhere at anytime. Just nurse your baby. It will be ok. Nothing wrong with being modest but you still have to nurse your baby. Nothing immodest about nursing a Hungary baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamiNlovinIt
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I bf in public (somewhat) for the first time a couple days ago. I was visiting an old family friend with my mom and ds woke up, wanting to nurse. I asked if I could go to the bedroom to feed him but she said we're all women, go ahead and nurse him right there. I'm glad there are still some people who are not offended by something so perfectly natural. I still covered up with my shirt, but I felt comfortable and ok with feeding my baby, and he wasn't a distraction.

If anyone tries to say something negative to you about it, ask them "What? Would you prefer a precious baby starve?" You are doing what's best and natural for your child. As long as we cover up I see nothing wrong with it.
MOMMY2ACR
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I know the chances of anyone saying anything are slim. It's just in the back of my mind. But I've never in my life noticed anyone breastfeeding in public. Not sure if its not common where I live or if I just don't notice it.

Quoting CountryGirl0809:

Most likely nothing will be said. I've been Breastfeeding for over 2 yrs and never had anything said to me out and I Breastfeed anywhere at anytime. Just nurse your baby. It will be ok. Nothing wrong with being modest but you still have to nurse your baby. Nothing immodest about nursing a Hungary baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

You probably just don't notice it. keep in mind that it's legal for you to nurse in every state in the Union. and the Court of Public Opinion has NO jursidiction. Unless you take public opinion polls for a living, be unconcerned about what the public thinks.

trilliandent42
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Go get one of these, they are GREAT!

http://www.target.com/p/bebe-au-lait-hooter-hiders-nursing-cover-camden-lock/-/A-13460026?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13460026&CPNG=Baby&kpid=13460026&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13460026

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

If you just become too nervous about it remember - there will be a time when you don't want to worry about it. Get it out of your system now and it'll be easier next time. You don't have to flash everyone to breastfeed. Good luck!

MrsErdos2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Babies get hungry just like anyone else. People who comare breastfeeding to peeing or pooping in public are insane and should not be taken seriously, ever. 

NHGal
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
You will do fine. The first couple of times is a bit nerve racking but honestly no one really notices. Cover if you want to but not because you feel you have to
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
the first few times I NIP I was nervous and used a cover. Then I realized the cover is a pain in the ass and now I dont cover up. zi just wear two shirts. There are times when I cover if I know shes hungry but just too distracted. sometimes I just wait until we get home tho.
you will get more and more comfortable. No one notices around here where I live. In fsct I get more looks when I am covered lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aydensXmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Honey, you'll be just fine. The first time I publically breastfed was on Black Friday in the middle of Walmart. My BIL was freaking out telling me to put the tit away... what if someone got flashed? I told him to shut up and deal with it or walk away. My husband just laughed lol.

But you should definitely watch this. It makes me laugh every time I see it, and it seriously did help me with the public BF feeding though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgmbJso-2-o if that didn't work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)