Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nursing after surgery

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
I had gallbladder surgery on Friday and now nursing seems to be a struggle. Anyone have any tips on how to make it easier and more comfortable again? He's all excited to nurse but I think my pain makes him fight it after a little bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM
After my gallbladder I had to do side-lying with a body pillow between us and dd propped up on boppy (my upper body lying on boppy). I couldn't hold her or she'd kick at my incision.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

For the first couple of days I just pumped, then back to business as usual. I pumped because he kicked.

mytime87
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:06 AM
I pumped for the first couple of days and if I was in to much pain for his kicking and now he is starting to cry Everytime I feed him like he isn't getting anything. And last time I pumped I only got maybe a quarter of a ounce :(. I'm wondering if between pain meds and the horrible dehydration I had caused by not having anything to drink in 18 hours and no food for over 36 hours screwed me.
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
My DD stayed in the hospital room with me for the five days . I was 5 weeks Pp. I nursed up to the min. And two hrs after my surgery. They made sure everything they used was nursing safe.

I used a pillow. I couldn't turn on my side for like two days.

My milk slowed from it all. We made it. She is almost 15 mo....still nursing.

I did have to suppliment for a few weeks. If u have breast milk saved to suppliment or donor milk of u can.
Have help. I was very sore for a week even though it was laposcopy
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Drink water...lots....
Pumping doesn't tell how much milk u have....
it is possible your supply suffered ....temporarily. Drink drink drink

Quoting mytime87:

I pumped for the first couple of days and if I was in to much pain for his kicking and now he is starting to cry Everytime I feed him like he isn't getting anything. And last time I pumped I only got maybe a quarter of a ounce :(. I'm wondering if between pain meds and the horrible dehydration I had caused by not having anything to drink in 18 hours and no food for over 36 hours screwed me.
mytime87
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM
I'm 6 months pp. I was in a hospital an hour away expected when I got sent there to be back home that night, but it was a big cluster between hospitals. I'm starting to run low on what milk I have left because of working full time also. I'm terrified I'm going yo have to stop, I had a complete melt down when he was up and acted like he wasn't getting anything. He wants to nurse he kept relatching over and over. Hopefully my supply will come back.....should I increase pumping after nursing?

Quoting moroccanmommy:

My DD stayed in the hospital room with me for the five days . I was 5 weeks Pp. I nursed up to the min. And two hrs after my surgery. They made sure everything they used was nursing safe.

I used a pillow. I couldn't turn on my side for like two days.

My milk slowed from it all. We made it. She is almost 15 mo....still nursing.

I did have to suppliment for a few weeks. If u have breast milk saved to suppliment or donor milk of u can.

Have help. I was very sore for a week even though it was laposcopy

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Yes, increase pumping, increase water,increase nursing.

This is merely a bobble in the road. Only way for it to be permanent would have been for the surgeons to mistakenly remove your breasts instead of your gall bladder.

Six months is prime time for babies to be fussy at the breast. Let him fuss. Fussy = good because it encourages supply. We LIKE fussy babies.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I'm getting my tubes tied soon, and I'm worried about this also.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

MOst likely if you pumped and bottlefed and now he is having issues with nursing its because he got used to the bottles.  This sounds more like a flow preference from the bottle.  NOt that he doesnt like to nurse but he doesnt understand why the breast is slower than the bottle which is why he latches and unlatches...keep offering the breast, drink loads of water, eat some oatmeal everything should be fine

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

OH and NO bottles

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)