Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why did you choose bf over bottle?

Posted by   + Show Post

I LOVE bf'ing because I always have 2 "bottles" everywhere we go.

They're always made, self-cleaning, and stay warmed to the perfect temperature.

And best of all, milk is tailored specifically to fit baby's needs, which is WAY more valuable than any formula I can find in stores.

I can tell ds prefers it too; I used to pump but every time I nurse, when he's finished, he'll be sleep and a big happy smile will come across his face before he lets go :)

breastfeeding

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
sleepymommy87
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

God that's like throwing away precious gold into the toilet! It's always sad for me to think of how many preemie babies could be saved with donor milk and some women just put cabbage leaves in their bras till their milk dries up when it is a precious commodity to so many of us. Once I forgot to put about 12 oz of pumped milk into the freezer and I literally cried when I realized I left it on the counter all night. 

Quoting Eviesmommy:

Well, there are the obvious reasons, like it's the best choice for the baby, and financially, it makes so much more sense. But when it comes down to it, my mom was a big influence on me. She breastfed both my little sister and I. I honestly don't remember having any bottles in the house when my sister was a baby. And really, I wasn't even aware of the existence of formula. I just thought that breastfeeding was the way it was done. Honestly, I found my first experience with formula weird and confusing. A friend chose to FF her kids instead of trying to BF. She had her first young. Just out of high school. (not that it matters, really) But my reaction was kinda like "wait, you're paying for what to feed the baby? Your breasts make food for the baby, you know..." And they did too, she used to squeeze her milk into the bathroom sink to relieve the pressure until her milk dried up. It was kinda sad, really. 

try4baby20
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM
So much easier and I'm a labor and delivery RN and I work nights so I can lay in bed w my 6 mo old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleChaos
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I BFed as long as I could with both kids.

With my son I became severly anemic, and ended up getting PPP. I had to be put on some heavy meds that I could BF on, but I had to schedule them. My son didn't like that. I started subbing formula, and eventually lost my supply, and he lost his latch.

With my daughter I got a nipple shield because my nips had flattened out. That helped so much! It was amazing  cuddling up with my boppy pillow and her wide eyes looking up at me while she ate. I thought it was the most precious thing in the world. I had had bad experiences with the pill, but really wanted to be on BC to avoid any "surprises". I was told the depo was a safe BC and that it would only temporarily lessen my supply, but steady feeding would bring it back up. It completely took it away that day. I tried everything. I wanted to go the full year with her. Broke my heart. Then, I ended up getting PPD =( I really feel like BFing her made me so happy and kept the PPD away. 

mering88
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I picked bf'ing over formula because of money and I can't stand the smell of formula when it comes back up. I'm the only one in my family that has breastfed so I had to do a lot of research to find out about all the benefits. We have some latch issues in the beginning but now I have a chunky 20lb baby :).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
It wasn't really something I thought about. Even though none of my friends or family did it was something that I HAD to do. 6 months in and he has never had anything but my milk. I feel so passionate about bf that I have donated milk bc I feel like every baby deserves as much bm as possible :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
This. Plus the benefits to both baby & mom make it a simple choice for me. Oh & you can't beat it being free.

Quoting hapababies:

It wasn't really a concious decision with my first child, it was just what felt right. I wasn't against formula before I gave birth to him, but after he was born bf'ing just worked for us.

For my second child it was a very concious decision and I'm grateful that it works for us.
Eliots_momma
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
That sounds like me! Hubby was preparing a bottle for ds so we could go out and have baby stay with my parents. He spilled maybe half an ounce and I freaked out on him. That stuff is AMAZING!! You can't waste a drop!

Quoting sleepymommy87:

God that's like throwing away precious gold into the toilet! It's always sad for me to think of how many preemie babies could be saved with donor milk and some women just put cabbage leaves in their bras till their milk dries up when it is a precious commodity to so many of us. Once I forgot to put about 12 oz of pumped milk into the freezer and I literally cried when I realized I left it on the counter all night. 

Quoting Eviesmommy:

Well, there are the obvious reasons, like it's the best choice for the baby, and financially, it makes so much more sense. But when it comes down to it, my mom was a big influence on me. She breastfed both my little sister and I. I honestly don't remember having any bottles in the house when my sister was a baby. And really, I wasn't even aware of the existence of formula. I just thought that breastfeeding was the way it was done. Honestly, I found my first experience with formula weird and confusing. A friend chose to FF her kids instead of trying to BF. She had her first young. Just out of high school. (not that it matters, really) But my reaction was kinda like "wait, you're paying for what to feed the baby? Your breasts make food for the baby, you know..." And they did too, she used to squeeze her milk into the bathroom sink to relieve the pressure until her milk dried up. It was kinda sad, really. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Well formula isn't an option., I love my son, and he deserves the best.

I can't imagine intentionally giving him something that could kill him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Well, the thing that first inspired me to try BFing was the sticker shock in the infant feeding aisle.

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I didn't choose. There was no question in my mind that I would nurse. It's what boobs are for and what mothers do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN