Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can the end of the period bring on a slight peak in milk production?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

I pump every morning (or every morning that i decide to sit down, which is at least 5 days out of 7, lol), about 12-18 oz. 

Well, I woke up feeling slightly engorged this morning, and i'm at the end of my first period post partum. I had two quite heavy days, and a day of light. Yesterday was even lighter. I could have gone without a tampon, but I don't have enough cloth pantiliners not to, lol. 

So... could my feeling quite full this morning be because of the loss of the period? Don't remember having it with my daughter, but I only had three or four periods in her first year.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

12-18 ounces per session? I want to note for any newbies reading that this output is 6-8 times above what the average woman gets, just so no one thinks they have a problem when they produce the usual max of two ounces!

Periods cause supply dips and drops in pumping output. End of period ends those phenomena. You've self-diagnosed perfectly.

ForeverInLove
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

12-18 ounces per session? I want to note for any newbies reading that this output is 6-8 times above what the average woman gets, just so no one thinks they have a problem when they produce the usual max of two ounces!

Periods cause supply dips and drops in pumping output. End of period ends those phenomena. You've self-diagnosed perfectly.

See, I don't think I had a diip, but it's quite possible that I just didn't notice, lol. 

And, yes,... 12-18 in the morning is my norm. I usually only pump in the morning. If you think that is bad, when I had my first son (first time mom), I would pump out 40oz in the morning alone... I had bowling balls for boobs when I woke, and not breasts. They were rock solid. I didn't know nearly enough, back then, and lost my supply around the 3 month mark, as I wasn't given an opportunity to pump at work... no pumping for over 10 hours meant my boobs hated me... 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Period leaving can bring supply back up, hormones do crazy things..you have CRAZY reaction to a pump

MamiNlovinIt
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM
8 to 12 oz was nornal for me but period messed with my supply too, thank God it's almost gone!
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yes.... :o) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN