Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do I stop this??

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM
  • 3 Replies

DD is 5mo now and we've been doing really great with EBF. Within the past couple weeks she has started to pull off the areola just a bit and will clamp her gums down on my nipple HARD and pull. She also will reach her tiny little hand up, grab a bunch of my skin and just pull my boob away from her face while still sucking making it feel like she is successfully about to rip my nipples off.

I thought it was my overactive letdown that was making her clamp down but in the positions I use now I don't see how that's much of a problem (we have issues with her gagging after birth due to OAL but position change solved it)

My nipples are killing me and the clamping down is getting worse it seems. Any advice to get her to stop or why she might be doing this??

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Any time she does it you have to say "no!" , and remove her from the breast for a few moments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Exactly what larissa said. She's found a new game to play, and you have to teach her not to do it. See the link titled WHEN BABIES ATTACK on our resources sticky.

marihla
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM

My two month old does this. The first few times it was kinda funny, now it just hurts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)