Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you get LO to sleep without always nursing to sleep.

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 31 Replies

DS is 5mo old and Im not sure when or how you get them to learn to sleep on their own. Right now he can fall asleep while nursing, swinging, being carried (which I shouldnt be doing with his heavy butt), or riding in the car. I want him to eventually be able to go to sleep on his own so that when I ween him in a couple of years he will still be able to sleep. Its not that I dont like nursing him to sleep, although sometimes it takes forever and I honestly dont like that. But I want him to be able to doze off on his own someday.

At what age is it good to start teaching him to sleep on his own, and how do you do it?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annaica
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I think it is a skill that comes at a different time for every child. My son fell asleep without being cuddled to sleep by about 9 months. My daughter is almost 3 and still wants cuddled to sleep :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgau73
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this
Wait till he gets older. They will outgrow this need on their own when they are ready. In the meen time, enjoy this magical sleep tool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM
When the child is ready. For some they don't need to sleep with mom or need help going to sleep. Others nurse to sleep until they wean.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TxMom2324
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I jave no idea either, Cameron is 15 months old and I'm still nursing him to sleep lol
AlexSosa
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

So if a baby only goes to sleep while nursing at age 1yr, its still in the norm?

Quoting melindabelcher:

When the child is ready. For some they don't need to sleep with mom or need help going to sleep. Others nurse to sleep until they wean.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
If it works for you and the child its not an issue.

Quoting AlexSosa:

So if a baby only goes to sleep while nursing at age 1yr, its still in the norm?

Quoting melindabelcher:

AlexSosa
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

What if it doesnt work for the mom? Out of curiousity. This isnt me that Im asking for obviously, since I have a 5mo old. :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting melindabelcher:

soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Lol, exactly us!

Quoting TxMom2324:

I jave no idea either, Cameron is 15 months old and I'm still nursing him to sleep lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My dd will sometimes be satisfied with a paci, but then you have one more habit to break later ;)
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM
My opinion that if mom allowed it all this time why not do it as parenting isn't about us it's about the child.
however if mom doesnt want to nurse to sleep then just don't allow it. whatever she wants bedtime to look like thats what she has to do. It likely won't be easy or tear free. But establish a routine and help baby adjust to it as best as possible.

Quoting AlexSosa:

What if it doesnt work for the mom? Out of curiousity. This isnt me that Im asking for obviously, since I have a 5mo old. :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN