Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you get LO to sleep without always nursing to sleep.

Posted by   + Show Post

DS is 5mo old and Im not sure when or how you get them to learn to sleep on their own. Right now he can fall asleep while nursing, swinging, being carried (which I shouldnt be doing with his heavy butt), or riding in the car. I want him to eventually be able to go to sleep on his own so that when I ween him in a couple of years he will still be able to sleep. Its not that I dont like nursing him to sleep, although sometimes it takes forever and I honestly dont like that. But I want him to be able to doze off on his own someday.

At what age is it good to start teaching him to sleep on his own, and how do you do it?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Every child is different and has different needs.  My daughter has to have her lovie to fall asleep.  And she started falling asleep on her own around a year without having to be nursed or rocked :(  My son is a different story and HAS to be rocked/walked/nursed/patted/etc to fall asleep.  Just enjoy him needing you b/c it will all be too soon that he won't need your help........

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting AlexSosa:

DS is 5mo old and Im not sure when or how you get them to learn to sleep on their own.

You don't. Especially not at five months... way too early to expect it. But wven when you reach the age of expectation about seven months from now., all YOU can do is make his world conducive to sleeping. The rest is on him.

Right now he can fall asleep while nursing, swinging, being carried (which I shouldnt be doing with his heavy butt), or riding in the car. I want him to eventually be able to go to sleep on his own

He will. You just don't get to control that.

so that when I ween him in a couple of years he will still be able to sleep. Its not that I dont like nursing him to sleep, although sometimes it takes forever and I honestly dont like that. But I want him to be able to doze off on his own someday.

At what age is it good to start teaching him to sleep on his own, and how do you do it?

You don't. You give him quiet and dark and you comfort him when he wakes and needs comfort and you continue doing PRECISELY what you've been doing. He'll learn it completely on his own. This is not a skill you can teach him. He's got to do it himself.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Yes. And even if he's doing it past one.

Mine didn't really go to sleep on his own till he was about two. I've knwon other babies to do it at six weeks, and still others to do it at three or four. ALL normal... there's no calendar age for this.

Quoting AlexSosa:

So if a baby only goes to sleep while nursing at age 1yr, its still in the norm?

Quoting melindabelcher:

When the child is ready. For some they don't need to sleep with mom or need help going to sleep. Others nurse to sleep until they wean.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Heh heh... welcome to motherhood? It's the least important of many things that will happen that don't precisely work for mom. In many ways we do have to remold oursleves toward our situation, not the situation to fit us.

Mom can try refusing to nurse. And may well find that she's just made her nighttime problems tougher rather than easier. It doesn't always work that way but generally when mom wants to sleep train (and there are dozens of books on it) it's a lot of work. And not all methods work. Been there... done that... not a single method worked! Waste of my time.

Quoting AlexSosa:

What if it doesnt work for the mom? 

jocelynred
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

my dd is 27 months. she'll nurse before bed but not fall asleep. then i'll put her to bed with a kiss goodnight and she'll fall asleep on her own. some nights she wants a sippy cup of water. that started a few months ago when she had an ear infection. i think the sucking on the sippy felt good on her ear. she's been this way since she was at least a year. the busier she got the less often she would fall alseep at the breast.

jendigme
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 7 weeks old, and since about 5 weeks I've been putting her in her bassinett semi awake/drowsy and she will fall asleep on her own. Can't say it won't change though, GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I'm no help. I nurse to sleep :)

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM
It all depends on the child. My first, inwas putting her down awake at a couple of months old and she would sing and talk herself to sleep. My second is ten months old and I still have to nurse her to sleep for naps and bed time. I'll be excited when she doesn't have to nurse to sleep but for now it's all I can do to make bedtime happen so we go with what works.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I just kept trying. Sometimes my 10 month old will fall asleep in her crib. By one or a little after my kids were able to not have to fall asleep nursing. But it goes by so quick! Chairish him falling asleep in your arms now cause soon he won't and you wish he would.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I never even attempted to get them to sleep w/o nursing before at least a year old. They will stop nursing to sleep all on their own if you just wait. You do not need to "teach" them to go to sleep w/o nursing any more than you need to teach them to walk. They just do it. Contrary to what other people around you may say, nursing to sleep is not a "bad habit". 

If I have a magic wand that puts my baby to sleep, why shouldn't I use it? My DD is 3 and still nurses. Most of the time she goes to sleep w/o nursing. Every night we read books, nurse and rock for a few minutes, then she gets down off my lap and gets herself into bed (lately she won't let me cover her up because "I'm big, I can cover myself up"). Then she lays down and goes to sleep. But, when I've got a cranky toddler in my house who is refusing to take a nap, I say, "do you want to nurse?" a few minutes later she's sound asleep. Magic!

Dont carry him around until your arms are sore to get him to sleep! Get comfy on the couch, put your feet up and grab a book (or your phone, iPad etc) and nurse him to sleep! Use your magic wand :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)