Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for working moms

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

How much do you pump at work? In comparison to how much baby eats at daycare?

I am able to pun around 14-17 oz at work and he eats between 8-10 oz at daycare. I have noticed lately tht I get more out of my right boob than left, I was going to try to feed him more on the left to even out the production, will that work? Any other recommendation s?

also how often do you pump?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
try4baby20
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM
In a 12 hr work day I get 21-24oz I work nights so he takes any where from 6-21oz depending on how often he wakes up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I used to pump 24oz+ she only took 2-6oz for 8hrs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM
21oz in 12hrs is grossly overfeeding!

Quoting try4baby20:

In a 12 hr work day I get 21-24oz I work nights so he takes any where from 6-21oz depending on how often he wakes up

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

In a full day, about 12 ounces with one session for every three hours. Which is precisely what he took. Don;'t worry about lopsided...that's normal and usually permanent; we all have a dominant side. Just like being right or left handed.

You're in the land of don'tmess with it... so don't mess with it. You're perfect!

jendigme
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I just went back this week, but I den to be getting 12-14 oz in and 8 hour day. She only takes about 8 oz while I'm gone...I was wondering if that was ok production. I hope u get ur answer here though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendigme
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Should of added I try and pump every three hours, at least 3 times in 8 hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM
We're on the tail end of my pumping experience. In the early days before I learned the rules of bottlefeeding she was eating 12-18oz in the 9 hrs I worked. I was pumping first thing I. The am and every 2 hrs at work and usually getting 14oz total.

I switched, laid down the rules and only left 8 oz for a 9 hr shift (she nursed when I dropped her off and was pumping every 3 hrs (3x total) and getting 9oz.

Now I work 8hr shifts, she eats before I leave and takes 4-6 oz while I'm away (dependent on naps) and I pump once at work and get 8-10oz. (Still have a good pump response and oversupply). Dd will be 1 next week so I plan on pumping for at least the end of flu season the. I'll decide from there. I can't wait to get my real breaks back!
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM
When I worked I would pump twice in a 9 hour day and get 15+ ounces. Baby usually only took two 3 ounce bottles. Right breast always made way more than the left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dleon621
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

hello there.many weeks ago i had the same question about the right and left boob.i am in your situation.I am producing more milk on the right then the left.I will pump now 8 oz on my right and 1 oz on my left while i am at work for 10 hours.i will pump three times a day for 10 mins.That alone doesnt mean that you are not producing enough milk on the left side from what is expressed.My advice to you is that as soon as you get home to your sweetie pie have the baby nurse from your left side first all the time to increase stimulation.This is completely normal.if you are worried after these lovely advice still,consult your lactation consultant and much luck :) 

try4baby20
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM
With commute I'm gone 16...he gets a max of 3oz every 2hr

Quoting melindabelcher:

21oz in 12hrs is grossly overfeeding!

Quoting try4baby20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)