Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the who growth chart

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

with my dr being so unhappy about my ds weight gain and pushing formula, including filling out wic paperwork saying both and saying he needs a special kind with more calories to help him gain weight, i have been doing research. i have found that according to the who chart he is BARELY under what he should be. if im reading it right he should be  7 lbs he is 6lb13oz. how do i bring this up to my dr or should i even bother will he even listen? im so lost right now i dont want my baby to have formula but my self esteem is so low after all these problems in the last 6 weeks. im really feeling like i cant do the one thing women are meant to do. like im not good enough for my baby and neither is my milk. i still havent given him any formula but my resolve is weakening i just want whats best for my baby. im sick of hearing oh hes so tiny and how many days is he? seriously some babies are just small so y make me feel bad about it?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
The CDC has stated that all doctors should be using the WHO charts for ALL babies. Find that, print it out and give the doctor that AND the correct chart. Ask him why he's going against the recommendations of the AAP and the CDC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Also look up the article, "Look at the Baby, Not the Scale." Read it yourself and you can even give that to the doctor if you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misasue
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

this.. and you could start using the health deparment for well baby checks and just keep the pedi for when lo is sick. or fire your dr and get a different one if they dont want to follow the guidleines that they should. they shouldnt be making you feel bad.. that's bs!

Quoting aehanrahan:

The CDC has stated that all doctors should be using the WHO charts for ALL babies. Find that, print it out and give the doctor that AND the correct chart. Ask him why he's going against the recommendations of the AAP and the CDC.

Paradys
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Find a different pedi, this one is wrong.
If you want to fight it bring him the chart and the WHO and CDC recommendations, and explain what you see compared to what he says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Change doctors - there are way too few doctors who actually have any experience/relevant education dealing with EBF babies. Which, in itself, is a sad fact. I would show your doctor the WHO info and if they still give you a hard time, switch docs. Just my opinion, but unless you really NEED to give your child formula, then don't. My daughter is basically EBF (until she started solids at about 8 months, obviously) except for when she NEEDED to drink formula because I was in the hospital with an abdominal abscess and I was on a shit ton (it's metric, don't worry! lol) of antibiotics and mophine. Obviously I had to pump and dump, and she was barely 2 months old, so yeah.

christineT79
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I would just find another Dr. or atleast start interviewing some in the mean time. Good luck momma.

TTC2Long
by Gina on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I agree. I used to print and bring the chart myself until they got with it and downloaded it.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwinz
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM

i'll print it out and bring it in. if i can get him to understand i dont want to leave the practice. his mom was my pedi growing up and i know she is all for bf when i had my twins she was really upset that i didnt bf but i didnt have enough knowledge in the begining so i just told her no i dont want to. i actually havent seen her since last january i think shes retiring but i feel safe in that practice. they dont even have an answering service if you call on weekends or holidays it goes straight to the dr cell phone. the two male drs im seeing now are her sons. i really love the one hes great he was the main dr for my twins but now the new brother is in the mix and hes my biggest issue. idk if the male im used to is good with ebf babies since ive only seen him once and i told him that if im doing formula im doing straight formula im not doing both and hes said dont give up on bf yet i just may not be making enough and suggested taking fenugreek so idk. sorry if this is jumbled im very confused right now and frustrated from this whole situation.

lizziegrl412
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I totally know how you feel sweetie! We are dealing with supposed weight gain issues too. Our pedi is pushing formula supplementation and I do not want to do that unless its really needed. I believe my son is getting enough milk. But it does mess with my confidence and makes me feel like my body isn't doing its job to nourish my baby. I so feel for you. Just stick to your instincts and stay strong!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)