Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Kind of an emergency....please help!

Posted by   + Show Post
I had a ct scan today and can not breastfeed until tomorrow morning.....

All I have is an avent manual pump and I'm not getting anything out....I haven't nursed since 8am this morning and I don't even feel engorged.....at all.....

I always wondered how much I was producing and I guess I have my answer.....why am I even nursing???? She already gets 3 bottles a day as it is.....

Should I just stop? :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
justone_jen
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I just searched her name. All of this has been asked before. Judging by her comments, I'm assuming she has no interest in dropping the supplements.

I just scanned a few posts, and I didn't find anything that screamed weight issues, but I didn't read everything.

ETA: she posted the weights and said there were issues, per the pediatrician, but the weights she posted weren't alarming, IMO.

Quoting shortyali:

Also pump output means nothing and why are you supplementing? You mention weight issues. What is the weight history? Birth, lowest and current. Whats babies age? All same scale? Also what kind of delivery? Did you get fluids?
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM
I thought the name look familiar. I'm mobile so its hard to search like that, thanks!!

Quoting justone_jen:

I just searched her name. All of this has been asked before. Judging by her comments, I'm assuming she has no interest in dropping the supplements.

I just scanned a few posts, and I didn't find anything that screamed weight issues, but I didn't read everything.

Quoting shortyali:

Also pump output means nothing and why are you supplementing? You mention weight issues. What is the weight history? Birth, lowest and current. Whats babies age? All same scale? Also what kind of delivery? Did you get fluids?
justone_jen
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Haha, me too, that's why I didn't read thoroughly. ;)

Quoting shortyali:

I thought the name look familiar. I'm mobile so its hard to search like that, thanks!!

Quoting justone_jen:

Quoting shortyali:

butterflycircle
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

it is normal to not get very much when you start pumping. The first few times I pumped I hardly got a thing out and my supply was fine and baby was gaining just fine too. I would keep trying to pump. Also depending on how old baby is and how often baby nurses getting engorged happens less too. 

oneluckymom23
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Thanks everyone.....I just think its weird that I don't really feel full at all....

I will not drop supplements....we had a rough start nursing....I didn't nurse her for practically the first week and didnt pump much either(kinda hard when you're on a vent. :-/

For those who say I can nurse....I'm glad I listen to medical professionals AND other people. I can NOT nurse her. I got 2 different contrasts....on through IV that is not safe.
silka08
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
If you call the infant risk line they can clarify. Its run by a doc, Dr. Hale, that keeps on top of all curremt research. Most medical professionals arent up to datw. 806-354-5600 its the go to sourve for preg, bfing and medications. Great for future use.

Feeling full is actually breast tisdye reaction to milk, not actual milk. Engorgement isnt even.nevesarrily a good sign.

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Thanks everyone.....I just think its weird that I don't really feel full at all....

I will not drop supplements....we had a rough start nursing....I didn't nurse her for practically the first week and didnt pump much either(kinda hard when you're on a vent. :-/

For those who say I can nurse....I'm glad I listen to medical professionals AND other people. I can NOT nurse her. I got 2 different contrasts....on through IV that is not safe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I had a CT scan with this stuff, and I'm 90% sure that they told me I SHOULDN'T nurse for 24 hours.... This was almost a year ago, and we are still nursing successfully, but I just thought I would let you know that maybe she has different info. Realistically, if any DOES get into your milk, it's probably not anything to be worried about. Apparently it's ok to nuse and take narcotics, which DO get into your breastmilk (think oxycodone, when you have an episiotomy or c-section, and then nurse - they never tell you to NOT NURSE.)

Quoting shortyali:

Why can't you nurse until tomorrow? The contrast they use for a ct scan doesn't pass in your milk. Go ahead and nurse.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I had a ct scan done when DD was 3 months and they also used 2 different dyes and I was given 3 different time frames to pump and dump from "medical professionals" and they were all wrong. I called the infant risk line and was told safe to nurse. Also I'm one of those moms that had sections so I was on Percocet and high doses of ibphrofren (sp?)and still nursed.

OP - it sounds like you just don't want to nurse anymore so quit if you want. No need to come up with excuses. Of I listened to everything a "medical professional" told me then my DD would have been ff because supposedly my milk wasn't good enough and DS would be dead because my nursing him was killing him, had nothing to do with the drs bad advice.

Quoting MamaDee83:

I had a CT scan with this stuff, and I'm 90% sure that they told me I SHOULDN'T nurse for 24 hours.... This was almost a year ago, and we are still nursing successfully, but I just thought I would let you know that maybe she has different info. Realistically, if any DOES get into your milk, it's probably not anything to be worried about. Apparently it's ok to nuse and take narcotics, which DO get into your breastmilk (think oxycodone, when you have an episiotomy or c-section, and then nurse - they never tell you to NOT NURSE.)

Quoting shortyali:

Why can't you nurse until tomorrow? The contrast they use for a ct scan doesn't pass in your milk. Go ahead and nurse.

RadnRem
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I am an xray/ct tech. You can still nurse after having the iodinated iv contrast. What was the other contrast that you had? I'm assuming it was oral?
I had never heard of someone not being able to nurse after a ct contrast exam until this site. So, I researched it and you CAN still nurse. There is such a small amount that passes through to your milk. Its basically nothing. Even the American Academy of Radiology states that it is not necessary to discontinue nursing after an iv contrast exam.

What type of scan did they do? An abdomen, chest, etc?

Eta....its the American College of Radiology...not academy, lol. I just saw what I wrote! Lol, getting the aap and acr all combined there!

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Doctors and radiologists and other medical professionals aren't trained in breastfeeding. They tell you not to nurse to cover their asses. Per Kellymom.com and Jack Newman, it is safe to nurse. Calling Dr. Hale's infant risk hotline will give you all the information you need to know about it. Those are the people who know what they're talking about.

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN