Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Kind of an emergency....please help!

Posted by   + Show Post
I had a ct scan today and can not breastfeed until tomorrow morning.....

All I have is an avent manual pump and I'm not getting anything out....I haven't nursed since 8am this morning and I don't even feel engorged.....at all.....

I always wondered how much I was producing and I guess I have my answer.....why am I even nursing???? She already gets 3 bottles a day as it is.....

Should I just stop? :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
ForeverInLove
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I've nurseed after contrast... I've nursed after three c-sections, two of them I went out of the OR hooked up to a Morphine pump, and nursed. I've nursed after gall bladder surgery. I've nursed the next day after being given 10mg of morphine in an IV (gall bladder attacks are horrid!). 

OP, nurse. If you want to give your daughter the best, then nurse. If you are wanting to give up, then give up and quit trusting the doctors so much. A doctor let my FIL die from cancer. Yes. He let him, by not telling him he had cancer. The notes were in the medical file, but he never told him. He never set up appointments with an oncologist for my FIL. When he finally switched doctors, FOUR years later, it was too late. It was stage four by then, and he had less than six months to live... Great doctor, huh?

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I'm a tech too ;) and we let our patients nurse. Oral and IV sometimes they tell you no just because they are too lazy to look it up. But I agree with pp, sounds like you do t want to nurse, so quit.

Quoting RadnRem:

I am an xray/ct tech. You can still nurse after having the iodinated iv contrast. What was the other contrast that you had? I'm assuming it was oral?

I had never heard of someone not being able to nurse after a ct contrast exam until this site. So, I researched it and you CAN still nurse. There is such a small amount that passes through to your milk. Its basically nothing. Even the American Academy of Radiology states that it is not necessary to discontinue nursing after an iv contrast exam.

What type of scan did they do? An abdomen, chest, etc?

Quoting oneluckymom23:

Thanks everyone.....I just think its weird that I don't really feel full at all....

I will not drop supplements....we had a rough start nursing....I didn't nurse her for practically the first week and didnt pump much either(kinda hard when you're on a vent. :-/

For those who say I can nurse....I'm glad I listen to medical professionals AND other people. I can NOT nurse her. I got 2 different contrasts....on through IV that is not safe.

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM

OP.. nurse your baby, it is fine! 

justone_jen
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM
6 moms liked this
It sounds like you just don't want to nurse, so quit. All you have to say is, "I want to stop." Done. Don't say, "I couldn't." Just say, "I don't want to." That's completely acceptable.
MamaDee83
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Man, I wish I felt good enoug to have thought of checking the infant risk line! I was really sick, however, and I was out of it for at least a week.... I would have gladly breastfed my little one instead of making her have formula and pumping and dumping!

Quoting shortyali:

I had a ct scan done when DD was 3 months and they also used 2 different dyes and I was given 3 different time frames to pump and dump from "medical professionals" and they were all wrong. I called the infant risk line and was told safe to nurse. Also I'm one of those moms that had sections so I was on Percocet and high doses of ibphrofren (sp?)and still nursed.

OP - it sounds like you just don't want to nurse anymore so quit if you want. No need to come up with excuses. Of I listened to everything a "medical professional" told me then my DD would have been ff because supposedly my milk wasn't good enough and DS would be dead because my nursing him was killing him, had nothing to do with the drs bad advice.

Quoting MamaDee83:

I had a CT scan with this stuff, and I'm 90% sure that they told me I SHOULDN'T nurse for 24 hours.... This was almost a year ago, and we are still nursing successfully, but I just thought I would let you know that maybe she has different info. Realistically, if any DOES get into your milk, it's probably not anything to be worried about. Apparently it's ok to nuse and take narcotics, which DO get into your breastmilk (think oxycodone, when you have an episiotomy or c-section, and then nurse - they never tell you to NOT NURSE.)

Quoting shortyali:

Why can't you nurse until tomorrow? The contrast they use for a ct scan doesn't pass in your milk. Go ahead and nurse.

LilynAustin
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My daughter can go all night without nursing and I won't be engorged.  Then, I can miss one feeding and feel like I am going to explode!  I do supplement but I have a medical condition where I don't make enough.  Even if you don't make enough milk doesn't mean you should stop.  I know she is getting a fair amount of breastmilk, and that's good enough for me.

Breasts are meant to make milk.  Some women have supply issues due to a number of factors.  I have mammary hypoplasia.  I can still breastfeed, but it's not enough.  I know it's frustrating.  But, if you make even a little bit of milk...that's good enough.  Breastmilk has a ton of vitamins and minerals that formula does not.  So, even the smallest amount is beneficial.  :)

Whatever you decide...well, it's your decision!  You are the mom and you know what is best for your baby and for you.  (((HUGS)))

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
Austin 2/28/07  Lily 2/21/08  Aubrey 4/30/10 

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I can't pump a drop, never feel engorged or full, and have a 25lb 10 month old who eats very few solids. If you want to contiue to nurse you can. Baby is much better at removing milk than any pump on the market. Personally I've through all along that your supply was fine but you are convinced it isn't(and now with all the supplementing you've done it very well might not be enough). Do what you want to do. If you want to continue to nurse that's great and if you don't that's great.  As long as the woman in the mirror is okay with the decision that is all that matters.

1stpreggers
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I would ask the hospital for a pump the medical grade ones work a lot better than a hand pump. I tried a hand pump and I got nothing! Electric pump I get plenty sometimes.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

*sigh* I try to stay away from your posts for a reason but I have to say (and Im trying to be nice about this) why do you come looking for help when you dont want to except the help we offer? 

What you were given is 99% likely to be safe so either listen to those telling you it is and nurse or call the infant risk line. also a lot of moms never respond to the pump and a lot of moms never feel full. Pumping out put and fullness means nothing and this is coming from a mom the eped.

I was pumping every two to three hours and if I went 6 to 7 to 8 hours with out pumping I wouldnt feel full or anything yes I could pump close to 10 ounces per side. Then there were times I would be rock hard and pump nothing. So dont determine supply on the pump every, its not something that is natural so your body may not want to respond to it. 

oneluckymom23
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM
*sigh*

You and the many others in here have made me realize why I don't ask for help often.... I was gonna keep my mouth shut but here goes.

Did I ask for the advice I was given? NO. But like normal, the pushy know it all moms in here have to give it. I'm sorry but I'm going to trust a medical professional over a group of woman on the Internet any day. Just seems like a smart move to me. Smh.

Secondly, I might not be nursing if it weren't for the moms in this group....I have gotten some good advice but just because I haven't followed it 100% doesn't mean I'm not listening. I know my baby.....my husband and I make decisions together regarding our kids and we both felt based on weights and drs advice that she needed supplements. That's MY choice and right as a mother.

So if you don't like my posts then don't respond. I could really care less.

To those that offered info in a kind way, Thank you very much.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

*sigh* I try to stay away from your posts for a reason but I have to say (and Im trying to be nice about this) why do you come looking for help when you dont want to except the help we offer? 

What you were given is 99% likely to be safe so either listen to those telling you it is and nurse or call the infant risk line. also a lot of moms never respond to the pump and a lot of moms never feel full. Pumping out put and fullness means nothing and this is coming from a mom the eped.

I was pumping every two to three hours and if I went 6 to 7 to 8 hours with out pumping I wouldnt feel full or anything yes I could pump close to 10 ounces per side. Then there were times I would be rock hard and pump nothing. So dont determine supply on the pump every, its not something that is natural so your body may not want to respond to it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN