Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need legal info on breastfed babies and custody battles in the state of Colorado!

Posted by   + Show Post
My sil is going thru a custody battle with her 3 month old son. He's exclusively breastfed and will not take a bottle. The courts issued the father to Sat 6pm to Sun 6pm. Then Monday 6pm to Tuesday 6pm. This doesn't seem right. I can't seem to find any legal info about this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
momof2little1s
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
This is not really a breastfeeding supportive reply in a breastfeeding group. I disagree with everything in the reply.

Quoting ncoates04:

Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Not everyone agrees with it but that's how the legal system works....too many moms have used breastfeeding as an excuse to alienate the father and with the continued studies showing the importants of father involvement, they aren't letting these things slide....sorry you don't agree but I've seen it happen muliple times just in the last couple years

Quoting soulofsunmama:

This is just so off it makes my head ring!

I don't agree at all.

Quoting ncoates04:

Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
She's asking what to do in this custody situation....I could have just given her fluff and then she got disappointed later when a judge is harsh with her...or I could be supportive and explain the legal perspective of the situation so she can try everything possible from her end before taking this bsck to court....just because its in a breastfeeding group doesn't mean she shouldn't be warned of the negative back lash that she could receive from the judge

Quoting momof2little1s:

This is not really a breastfeeding supportive reply in a breastfeeding group. I disagree with everything in the reply.

Quoting ncoates04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
This is what I was thinking when I saw the comment.

Quoting ncoates04:

She's asking what to do in this custody situation....I could have just given her fluff and then she got disappointed later when a judge is harsh with her...or I could be supportive and explain the legal perspective of the situation so she can try everything possible from her end before taking this bsck to court....just because its in a breastfeeding group doesn't mean she shouldn't be warned of the negative back lash that she could receive from the judge

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting ncoates04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM
I just don't agree.
I'm not saying your wrong at all or being negative, but I do believe if the research is done well, and the *supportive* resources are found and utilized that there's a possibility that she could fend it off for awhile, until baby is older, can pump hopefully, ect....
A pro breastfeeding lawyer in this situation could REALLY help as well.
It sucks that some would use this situation like that, but I wonder *how* many more use this as an excuse then *how*many have actually done it, if that makes sense?
I want and do believe that if (most) mamas are actually making the real efforts to bf, they they actually really want what's best for baby.

Quoting ncoates04:

Not everyone agrees with it but that's how the legal system works....too many moms have used breastfeeding as an excuse to alienate the father and with the continued studies showing the importants of father involvement, they aren't letting these things slide....sorry you don't agree but I've seen it happen muliple times just in the last couple years

Quoting soulofsunmama:

This is just so off it makes my head ring!

I don't agree at all.

Quoting ncoates04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk but id freak the hell out at the thought of putting a 3 month old on formula against my will. Dude is a douchebag for insisting on overnights for a newborn.

Total bullshit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trilliandent42
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM

What county is this in?  The judge needs to be fired.  Mamas and bebes need eachother.  I really feel for her and her child...

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I want to say Adams County but not sure. They live in Lakewood.

Quoting trilliandent42:

What county is this in?  The judge needs to be fired.  Mamas and bebes need eachother.  I really feel for her and her child...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trilliandent42
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Jefferson.  That is embarrassing, I live in JeffCo.  Sounds like baby's daddy is being vindictive.  Well, maybe after a night of colic will change his mind.  Have her keep a journal of everything that is going on.  Totally admissible in family court.  Does she have a crappy lawyer?

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting trilliandent42:

soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
A good lawyer can make all the difference.

Quoting trilliandent42:

Jefferson.  That is embarrassing, I live in JeffCo.  Sounds like baby's daddy is being vindictive.  Well, maybe after a night of colic will change his mind.  Have her keep a lournal of everything that is going on.  Totally admissibl in family court.  Does she have a crappy lawyer?

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting trilliandent42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN