Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need legal info on breastfed babies and custody battles in the state of Colorado!

Posted by   + Show Post
My sil is going thru a custody battle with her 3 month old son. He's exclusively breastfed and will not take a bottle. The courts issued the father to Sat 6pm to Sun 6pm. Then Monday 6pm to Tuesday 6pm. This doesn't seem right. I can't seem to find any legal info about this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM
I was looking it up, but can't find anything. She, if she is going to go to work at all, will have to figure out what the baby is going to have to eat while away from her. She is going to have to figure out how to pump, or give baby formula.
I definately do not agree with overnights, bf or not, for babies under a year.
carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM

thats pretty crazy. here in texas its super rare (unless both parties agree) for children under 3 to leave the custodial parent over night. is the cust. agreement through the AG or just through the court?

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM

courts rarely grant overnight access to an infant breastfed or formula fed. this is a strange situation to be occuring at all. if baby is EBF there is no way to know how he will do on formula and a complete and sudden diet change is a BIG deal- if she has no milk there is no transitioning to formula and seeing how he does its just all or nothing leaving a possibly sick baby with a probably inexperienced father. of course fathers have the right to bond with their babies but moms have the OBLIGATION to feed them at the breast the way nature intended. Even the AG has taken a stance on breastfeeding- with that being true i think there is a great chance that the courts would modify the order to allow the breastfeeding relationship to stay intact.

Quoting ncoates04:

Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom

carolyntx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

why dont you send an email to these people? i bet they can at least point you in the right direction. http://cobfc.org/

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM
I agree :(
There's no reason dad can't do daytime visits atleast until baby is a little older. How selfish and probably even spiteful.
I hope things work out for her!

Quoting Nolanzo:

Idk but id freak the hell out at the thought of putting a 3 month old on formula against my will. Dude is a douchebag for insisting on overnights for a newborn.

Total bullshit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
This does happen and is happening more in courts. Mothers try to use Breastfeeding as a reason for baby to not go to daddy's for visitation and the courts hve caught on to that. It has made it bad for mothers who actually want to provide te best nutrition for her baby. My sister breastfed her baby and at 2.5-3 mths te dad was able to take him overnight. It was court ordered. They said for her to pump that's what breastpumps are for they said. It's sad for the baby but it is what it is. That's why it's very important for women to choose who the father of her kids will be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
The dad has every right as the mother does Does it make it right for te baby? No. But that's what happens when parents can't work together to make a relationship work.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I agree :(

There's no reason dad can't do daytime visits atleast until baby is a little older. How selfish and probably even spiteful.

I hope things work out for her!

Quoting Nolanzo:

Idk but id freak the hell out at the thought of putting a 3 month old on formula against my will. Dude is a douchebag for insisting on overnights for a newborn.

Total bullshit.
ms.chica
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

This happen to me and what the judge said I will have to pump n give him a bottle. I didn't like neither did my baby and still this day my son cries everytime he goes with his dad.

CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
That stuff happened to my sister in her custody battle last year. Even had a LC testify saying she can pump. It sad for the baby. But it is the reality of it nowadays. Too many mothers have used the Breastfeeding a baby so fathers can't have them. Courts have caught on to them. It's sad but true. And I'm totally pro-Breastfeeding!

Quoting momof2little1s:

This is not really a breastfeeding supportive reply in a breastfeeding group. I disagree with everything in the reply.

Quoting ncoates04:

Then she will need to accept the fact that baby will be getting formula....unless she can have a medical expert testify that she has tried every avenue possible and that the baby has severe medical issues and must only have breastmilk then she will have to accept that she is not in an intact relationship and the situation is not lifes ideal situation....in a divorce/seperated situation sacrifices need to be made. and the courts seldomly will punish a father/ restrict access simply due to breastfeeding

A medical expert is VERy unlikly to testify to the restrictions unless of course the baby is very sick

Some people say it sucks..but honestly a father has everyright to bond with his child in the early months as does mom
CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I feel bad for your baby. It's sad. I feel bad for all babies who have to go through this. It happened to my sister too last year. How old is your baby if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting ms.chica:

This happen to me and what the judge said I will have to pump n give him a bottle. I didn't like neither did my baby and still this day my son cries everytime he goes with his dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)