Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need legal info on breastfed babies and custody battles in the state of Colorado!

Posted by   + Show Post
My sil is going thru a custody battle with her 3 month old son. He's exclusively breastfed and will not take a bottle. The courts issued the father to Sat 6pm to Sun 6pm. Then Monday 6pm to Tuesday 6pm. This doesn't seem right. I can't seem to find any legal info about this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Replies (41-46):
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I agree..he doesnt have to know....lol.....

The huge but in the room is that he is punishing them by forcing this.  If he had his baby's best interests in mind, he would agree to frequent short visits instead of forcing overnights.  It may take only one night of him being a jerk to realize that he is punishing his child/himself.  :(  She could send pure gold, and he would do what he wants.  I'm not saying I know him by any means, but I have seen this same issue happen, and usually it is two adults wanting to punish each other.  :(

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but dad doesn't HAVE to know its donor milk. If she just sends it like its her pumped milk....

Quoting Hottubgodess:

And that is only if dad agrees to offer it.  :( 

Quoting Eliots_momma:

If there is nothing that can be done to modify the agreement, she can try to find donor milk. That way baby can still get BM even with dad.

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

canog08
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

you mean because she cant afford a pump? ????

Quoting SuperMom2433:

What if she can't pump?

Quoting ncoates04:

She will need to pump and provide milk for baby...baby WILL take a bottle when hungry....you will not find laws that discourage a paternal relationship simply because mom is breastfeeding.

Moogie1005
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Some women don't respond to a pump. They literally get nothing.

Quoting canog08:

you mean because she cant afford a pump? ????

Quoting SuperMom2433:

What if she can't pump?

Quoting ncoates04:

She will need to pump and provide milk for baby...baby WILL take a bottle when hungry....you will not find laws that discourage a paternal relationship simply because mom is breastfeeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canog08
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

i guess that makes scence ....

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM

That's sad! As someone previously said in the  state of Texas there is no overnight visitation with the father until after 3 regradless how baby is fed. When something like this comes up people act like the only way for the father to spend time with the child is over night visitation and that just isn't true. My friend divorced her husband when their baby was just 6 weeks old. He would come over for as long as he could 3 or 4 times a week of an evening to see his daughter. They were adult enough to get along for the sake of their baby and made it work. The childs best interest should always be the main priority and in this case that isn't what is happening! Poor baby and mommy!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You know, it occurs to me that there are MANY infants in this country who don't meet their dads for MONTHS. Because Dad is on deployment.

If not having dad as a presence in an infant's life is harmful to the father/child relationship, then either we had to stop deploying dads or we have to sterilize all our servicemen so they cannot become fathers until the end of their service. Anyone want to float THAT idea to the DoD?

The truth is, however... that it's pretty much bullpucky that dad or baby will suffer by missing overnights. Neither will. 

But... it also occurs to me that Dad should be careful what he wishes for and that one overnight will probably quash desire for future ones. Especially at the hellishly uncharming age of three months!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN