Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

To Sell Your Pump Or Not To Sell and If So Where?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello Ladies

I have a hospital grade pump that was sold to me and I no longer need it so I was thinking of reselling it. I wanted to get your opinion and advice. It is a Medela hospital grade pump that the person that sold to me used about 5 times and I used 20 times at most. It has been double sanatized by FDA standards. Is it ethical to resell hospital pump. From my online research the answer is yes if you dont sell the accesories sucha s tubes bottles etc. However I am not sure where to sell it or even how much to ask. It is valued at $1300 but I know the average mom doesnt have that. So if you have any opinions or know of a good online palce to sell other than Ebay or Amazon let me know. Thanks

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvteeth77
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Craigslist? I've had a bad experience selling stuff on amazon so I'd advise against that. I know of someone else who had a bad exp selling something on amazon as well. I sold one on Craigslist a year or so ago. I'm not sure how much you should sell it for.... $300??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I would say sell for half price, maybe quarter price if you are not able to find buyers at half price- you haven't used it all that much.  Since it is hospital grade and closed system it is perfectly ok to resell it.  An open system (non hospital grade) pump that has been used frequently should not be resold due to risk of milk particles or mold/mildew particles in the pump motor.  Closed systems do not have that risk.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

How much did you pay for it?

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Can you put up a notice with local midwives, doulas, child birth educators?  Maybe "word of mouth" will lead you to a mama who needs it....

thebraidlady365
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try the local breastfeeding places first. Otherwise just keep and maybe try and pump to donate the milk to milk bank

thebraidlady365
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

By the way what could go wrong with selling on Amazon. PM if you would rather keep private jsut curious thought it was best palce to sell @iluvteeth77

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM
What pump is valued at $1300!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Ive seen hospital grade pumps on ebay. Craigslist wouldnt likely produce the right buyer such as a high professionally working mom, doula, midwife or LC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Oh, and on ebay they were listed $5-800
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Its a pump often owned by LCs and hospitals and rented out at $70 per month. Its not the commercial type owned by moms.

Quoting melindabelcher:

What pump is valued at $1300!?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)