Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can't believe some people...

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM
  • 27 Replies

I was at a restaurant with family and there were some people sitting across from us with a baby. I had DS with me. The people were feeding their baby formula, and when DS got hungry I got out my nursing cover and started feeding him. Well, the older lady started glaring at me and then nudges her daughter and they all look at me disgustedly!! Even the old guy. I was disgusted by their behavior! The lady even said to her daughter "I'm so glad you're not nursing her!" What the eff???!! This makes me so mad. Just had to share. I wish people would not judge my feeding choice, I wasn't judging theirs. Grrr

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucaslexie
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this
you should have whipped it out without your cover, that would have sent them over the edge! LOL Some people are clueless! I nursed my dd in a restaurant for the first time Friday night....our babies need to eat too!!
MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I would have said something!

Gruntlings
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

People judge the things that they do not understand. It used to upset me and make me feel defensive. Now it just makes me feel sad. 

It makes me feel sad that people don't understand the impact that they might have on someone who is on the fence about breastfeeding, depressed, or emotionally vulnurable. Or they don't care. 

It makes me feel sad that people view breastfeeding negatively when it is the best possible way to feed a baby.

And it makes me feel sad that people have so little in their lives that they have to feel that way. 

VintageWife
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh man, I would have wanted to say, "Are you really glad that she's not doing what is best for her child? Is your family used to doing just enough to get by?"

AleaKat
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:41 AM
How old is your DS?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM
6 moms liked this
I would have turned to whomever I was with and said "I'm so glad I chose to give my son the best start in life, despite rude, small-minded people who don't know how to mind their own business!". Not the nicest thing, I know, but sometimes I'm a bitch!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Your better then me I would have called out that bullshit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

People chose not to understand things. Also attacking bf i feel can be a defense mechanism if they weren't as successful as they would have hoped.

One of the many reasons i don't wear covers is because its like putting a neon flashing light above your head with a megaphone announcing that you are breastfeeding.

Sorry you were made to feel that way.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Me too. Probably would've had hubby say loudly how he's glad I don't feed our baby that crap.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I would have said something!

momma_hambrook
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I nurse my daughter in public all the time... I look at as this is her food and when she's hungry no matter where we are she will eat... I'm always covered but still get dirty looks oh well no one told them to look at me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN