Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So close to bringing out the pump...ugh

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 9 Replies
Dd made two weeks yesterday. Up until about two days ago things have been going perfect. Now she latches and unlatches again and again and again. When she does actually be still and eat she eats until I feel empty. But I can still feel a let down and see that there's milk in there so I know I'm not completely empty. I'm pretty sure she's having a growth spurt and she is gaining weight fine. (Born at 8.8 at two weeks old she's 9lbs even)

I'm just getting so frustrated bc I can't tell if she's wanting to nurse for comfort or if she's really hungry. She won't take a pacifier and I feel like I can't even leave her to go shower or potty bc she'll fuss. And everyone in the family (I have a lot of help) hands her off to me as soon as she makes the smallest cry bc "she's hungry" then when I go to feed her she won't eat and I spend 30 minutes trying not to flash and bystanders bc she keeps letting go. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SadieJames
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

She's normal mama.  And what would pumping do except take away nursing for comfort from her?  Get a sling and practice nursing her in it.   Also, your breasts are still adjusting so the may not be "empty" but if you pump them "empty" that's telling your body to make more... Tha will lead to an oversupply.  Count diapers, sit down and let her nurse as much and often as she wants.  The first six weeks are basically baby on boob and nothing else time.

MOMMY2ACR
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
That makes me feel better. I do have a ring sling that I need to put to use.

Quoting SadieJames:

She's normal mama.  And what would pumping do except take away nursing for comfort from her?  Get a sling and practice nursing her in it.   Also, your breasts are still adjusting so the may not be "empty" but if you pump them "empty" that's telling your body to make more... Tha will lead to an oversupply.  Count diapers, sit down and let her nurse as much and often as she wants.  The first six weeks are basically baby on boob and nothing else time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

If the family isn't going to actually help when you need it, then kick them out.   You shouldn't have to worry about flashing anyone in your own home.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a normal newborn. Get out the ringsling, nurse when she wants. And don't worry about flashing anyone, they know you're learning!

Your doing awesome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

just a warning pumping is 100x more work. you can never take a break. you have to pump at least every 2-3 hours during the day with only one 4 hour break. If you don't do this your pump outputs will decrease. Even if you can pump 6+ ounces right now this isn't normal and pump outputs decrease as your body learns what is taken out and then decreases beyond that as pumps aren't as effective as baby. Get a mei tei and do the double shirt method. Also, do you have a fast letdown?

MOMMY2ACR
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I exclusively pumped for my first and you're right it was a pain in the butt! I'm just frustrated today. I didn't even get bottles for this dd bc I was dead set on breastfeeding. So I have nothing to pump into lol. I've been wearing little tanks under all my clothes and dh helps and has been reassuring me that I'm covered (I'm super shy) I'm going to start putting her in my ring sling and that way I can just tote her around and feed her whenever. "Whenever" seems like every 5 minutes right now lol

Quoting MonicaV1982:

just a warning pumping is 100x more work. you can never take a break. you have to pump at least every 2-3 hours during the day with only one 4 hour break. If you don't do this your pump outputs will decrease. Even if you can pump 6+ ounces right now this isn't normal and pump outputs decrease as your body learns what is taken out and then decreases beyond that as pumps aren't as effective as baby. Get a mei tei and do the double shirt method. Also, do you have a fast letdown?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Welcome to nursing a newborn, lol. My Anthony is the same way. If I'm in the house he thinks he belongs in my arms and nursing. He gives me this look like "mom, your here and I'm awake. I need to be eating. End of story", lol. He's just over 3 weeks old. If daddy holds us we go to sleep cause let's face it, no foods coming from him. If older brother or sissy are right there we whine to them cause they go get mommy. My DD stopped that around 8 weeks when she was a baby. So I'm expecting about the same with DS2, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MOMMY2ACR
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM
And yes I do I have a fast let down. I've been catching it in a burp cloth or we both end up soaked.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Sigh. She sounds perfect, normal, and downright infuriating!!

The fast letdown may be causing the popping on/off. Try lying back to nurse. And only nursing on one side per feeding to help regulate things.

You're doing great this is the evil phase! Showering is optional for the first few months in my mind! You can nurse on the potty (get that sling out). Everything else your helpful family can chip in and take care of!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN