Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nursing & sleeping

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
I was told, and also have read that newborns should nurse every 2-3 hours and it should be 12x a day, including overnight, while 1 month old is 7-9x a day. My DD is 4 weeks old (officially 1 month on Friday) and nurses about 5x a day, maybe 7 total and has been sleeping through the night since about 1 1/2 weeks old. Is that bad, and should I be waking her in the middle of the night for feedings? She definitely has enough wet/dirty diapers. We wake in the mornings and her diaper is both dirty and very full. She will have probably 2-3 VERY wet diapers a day and she has a bowel movement before, during and after each feeding so I know she's getting enough to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Some babies are like that. My son was asleep almost all the time for the first month. Now he gets about 8 hours at night and two 1 hour long naps during the day. He's ten months old. I'm sure your baby is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilSarahgirl
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:46 AM
I've always been told baby should have at least 6 wet diapers a day at that age and nursing 8-12x per day. Sounds like she's having only 3-4 diapers per day. Is that correct? Honestly, I would nurse more to get more wet diapers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
P.N._Guin
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM
I rely on diaper count more than amount of times nursed. If baby has 8-12 wet diapers thoroughly the day/night, I'll let them sleep. If not, I do wake to nurse to make sure they're getting enough.
RadnRem
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:04 AM
Really wet dipes count as 2, as do poopy dipes. So, baby is having plenty of diapers, lol.
I definitely don't miss the days of pooping before, during, and after each nursing session!

Quoting LilSarahgirl:

I've always been told baby should have at least 6 wet diapers a day at that age and nursing 8-12x per day. Sounds like she's having only 3-4 diapers per day. Is that correct? Honestly, I would nurse more to get more wet diapers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I would NEVER wake a sleeping baby (unless there are eating/weight issues).  My daughter was the same way.  All babies are different!!!  Now, my son on the other hand.....he is 4mos and still wakes 2-4x a night to eat!  UGH....I may never sleep again.  hahahahaha!!!

jakesmom323
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM
My baby did the same and the pediatrician told me to wake him to BF him the first month. Totally messed up his sleep and it took another 2 months to get him to sleep through the night (well 5am) another doctor said if they are content, diapers are good, and weight is fine, don't do anything. You are blessed to have a happily sleeping baby;)
polkaspots
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM
I totally agree with you. In the hospital they kept pushing me to feed him, but he just wanted to sleep. I actually got yelled at twice because I told her I was not wasting any more time tickling his damn feet to keep him up.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I would NEVER wake a sleeping baby (unless there are eating/weight issues).  My daughter was the same way.  All babies are different!!!  Now, my son on the other hand.....he is 4mos and still wakes 2-4x a night to eat!  UGH....I may never sleep again.  hahahahaha!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That's awful!  Babies will let YOU know when they are hungry!!!  Makes me so mad some times!  Unless there is a REAL issue there is no reason to wake them up.  Some will sleep longer periods than others.......

Quoting polkaspots:

I totally agree with you. In the hospital they kept pushing me to feed him, but he just wanted to sleep. I actually got yelled at twice because I told her I was not wasting any more time tickling his damn feet to keep him up.

Quoting rHOPEb:

polkaspots
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I know!

Quoting rHOPEb:

That's awful!  Babies will let YOU know when they are hungry!!!  Makes me so mad some times!  Unless there is a REAL issue there is no reason to wake them up.  Some will sleep longer periods than others.......

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
When he gets a bit older, his nursing and sleeping patterns will change. Once you get used to his schedule, it will change. Enjoy this time and catch up on your sleep, no need to wake the baby :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)