Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much milk does your 6 month old drink?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM
  • 9 Replies
My DD is 6 months old and recently started solids. She has not changed her milk intake since solids. I feed her on demand from the breast when I am home and DH feeds her while I am at work three days a week for 14 hours. She eats a 4oz bottle every 2-3 hours (closer to 2) while I am gone and nurses every 2-3 hours while I am home. This includes throughout the night. She is in the 93rd percentile for height and weight so I know shes getting enough, I just wonder if DH gives her bigger bottles of BM while I am gone, will she go longer between feedings? Will my supply adjust? How many oz and how often does your baby eat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM

you're daughter will go longer and your supply will suffer! Babies eat by volume about 24oz on average. That's including solids. Every ounce not taken from your breast is one less it makes. By having your husband over feed baby (never more than 1-1.25 an hour) you're setting yourself up to have issues as pumping outputs very often decrease over time.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Baby currently should only be getting 14-19 ozs total while you are gone. Also bottles shouk be no more than 3ozs. If she's getting 4oz bottles every 2 hours then she is being majorly overdoes right now. It's not to fill her up, it's only to make her no as hungry so she nurses more from you. The amt of ozs never changes no matter the age of baby. Your milk changes. Sure you can leave things like they are or even up her ozs if you want but around 9 months is a major supply regulation and normal pump output goes way down. When my DD was 9 months I had to add in an extra pump session just to get the bare minimum that she needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM
No matter the age my kids have had no more then 2oz every 2hrs
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Agree with above posters. Baby is being largely overfed. Your supply will not adjust to that
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Agree

The 1-1.25 oz rule, in bottles no bigger than 3-4 oz, every 3-4 hours (or 2 oz every 2 hours) is for any age. Also make sure he is giving a bottle then offering solids right after, not replacing a feeding with solids.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Agree with above posters. Baby is being largely overfed. Your supply will not adjust to that
Hot_Badonkadonk
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I just learned this rule of 1.25 ounces for every hour too, so don't feel bad!

My little guy is 5 months old and probably gets about 26 ounces in a day. My sitter has started only giving him 3 ounce bottles, 3 times a day for a 9 hour period that I am gone.

I have noticed that even when my husband was feeding him 5 ounce bottles before bed time, I have classes at night, that he would still wake up at the same times and eat just as much! Definitely was being overfed and, for him, it didn't make him wait any longer to be nursed from me.

Eliots_momma
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
^^Agree with pp^^

With that said - We just started solids too and baby still nurses with about the same frequency, even throughout the night. Right now babies are dependent on milk to meet their nitritional needs, solids are just for fun and to experiment with new textures and tastes. Perfectly normal for baby to nurse every 2-3 hrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Like everyone else has said, baby is getting too much in the bottles. And remember that solids aren't meant to replace nursing sessions or bottles. Unitl a year of age, solids are really unnecessary and only for exploring new tastes/textures. Babies are meant to eat small amounts very frequently, regardless of age. I would adjust the size of bottles and let that help make sure your pump output won't tank below what she needs when away from you.

MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
My 6 month old takes 2.5 oz every 3 hours. After that he get frustrated and doesn't want the bottle. Your baby doesn't need that much
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)