Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When does engorgement end?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 6 Replies

I breastfed my other two children, but I can't remember, how long does it take for the painful engorgement to end?  My DS is 1 week old, and I'm constantly full to the point of pain.  I have to pump once a day to just get some relief for a while (and I realize that pumping just makes the problem worse, but I have to send him to daycare in a few weeks, and frankly, it just hurts too bad.)  I pump immediately after feeding him, and am still getting 7 oz. in about 10 minutes of pumping, and am still feeling pretty full afterward, but I won't pump until I'm completely drained because I fear I'll start producing even more.  When will this end???

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Hot_Badonkadonk
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I also had a huge oversupply. I still have a bit of an oversupply but not as bad.

People will disagree with me, but I regulated by slowy decreasing my pumping. Most will tell you to block feed.... I never did. I stored and freezed all that extra milk, we have gallons! It comes in handy.

I started regulating around 3 months, just by slowly decreasing the amount of times and amount pumped. I'd definitely stop pumping for 10 mins. I was feeling up 5 ounce bottles in like 2 minutes, making 10 ounces! I slowly decreases it to 3 ounces bottles and less often. If that makes sense.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I would say mine was about 4 months when it slowed. 6 ish when I stopped feeling the milk let down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
If you keep pumping like that? It'll be many months...at least!

From what I remember, for me the first few weeks were pretty intense and then it let upย quite a bit and kept gradually improving after that. But I wasn't pumping after feedings! (yes, I had to go back to work at 2 weeks pp) And I block fed to help control oversupply. Without that I imagine it would've taken much longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM
It was about a month or so, I think. If you just pump to the point where you are no longer engorged, it will help. Like you said though, it might be a good idea to pump and get a good freezer stash before lo go to daycare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjlmommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I'm not pumping after every feeding, just one a day to feel some relief for a little while.  And because I'll need it soon, to build up a bit of a stash. 

Thanks for the input, I guess it is different for everyone, so I'll have to wait and see. 

christineT79
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For me it all evened out around 3 months. I pumped alot in the begining when I had alot of milk so I could store a bunch. It worked out because now I have a nice stash in the freezer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)