Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here. Need some advice.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi guys, Im a first time mom as of 6 days ago. We found out monday my son had jaundice so they wanted me to feed every 2 hours. Since doing so hes been eating like a champ but im starting to feel like theres no milk left in them. Today hes wanted to feed almost every hour and has stayed latched for 45 mins or so each time. Usually he only wants to eat every 3-4 hours and eats for maybe 15 mins before he starts getting fussy. Anyways my question mainly is could my supply already be getting too low? Is it too early for the engorgment to go away? Any tips would be great. My doctors already suggested supplementing with formula because hes been eating so frequently but Im really trying to avoid that. 

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Your doctors actually said that?

First off-Congratulatons! 

The only way to tell if the baby is getting enough is to count diapers. You should have 1 for every day of life. Poops count as two. So as long as you are having 6 diapers in 24 hours, then you are golden. To see what a wet diaper should feel like...pour 4 Tablespoons of water into the diaper. 

Newborns nurse ALL THE TIME. Expect this for the next several weeks plus again during the growth spurts at 3,6,9,12 weeks.

As far as doctors advice goes...ignore what they say UNTIL you check in here. I'm also a physician and we received ZERO training in breastfeeding. I'm talking not even a single lecture. Many doctors love to push formula because it can be measured and the babies fit the charts. Then again, later in life, different doctors get to treat us for all the health problems caused by formula such as obesity, high cholesterol, allergies, immune disease, GI diseases. Hmmm, maybe I see the connection.

Here is a one pediatrician who has some great info and knowledge on breastfeeding. www.drjenforkids.com

Also, one more trap to avoid...please don't use your pump to judge output. Babies are far more efficient at getting milk out. So if you only pump an ounce, this does not mean that the baby isn't eating. It only means your pump isn't as good as a baby.

Good luck

toria2316
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the FAQ section and found a ton of info that helped a lot. And yes my doctor told me that I should do that so my nipples dont crack and bleed from him eating too often and I told him I wanted to ebf and he repeated what he said while looking at my husband like DH would make me or something. And my son has been using the bathroom so much more today and im guessing its due to the fact hes been nursing so frequently. Thanks for all the advice! I think lack of sleep and being new at all this is making me overly worried. 

Quoting Cleo07:

Your doctors actually said that?

First off-Congratulatons! 

The only way to tell if the baby is getting enough is to count diapers. You should have 1 for every day of life. Poops count as two. So as long as you are having 6 diapers in 24 hours, then you are golden. To see what a wet diaper should feel like...pour 4 Tablespoons of water into the diaper. 

Newborns nurse ALL THE TIME. Expect this for the next several weeks plus again during the growth spurts at 3,6,9,12 weeks.

As far as doctors advice goes...ignore what they say UNTIL you check in here. I'm also a physician and we received ZERO training in breastfeeding. I'm talking not even a single lecture. Many doctors love to push formula because it can be measured and the babies fit the charts. Then again, later in life, different doctors get to treat us for all the health problems caused by formula such as obesity, high cholesterol, allergies, immune disease, GI diseases. Hmmm, maybe I see the connection.

Here is a one pediatrician who has some great info and knowledge on breastfeeding. www.drjenforkids.com

Also, one more trap to avoid...please don't use your pump to judge output. Babies are far more efficient at getting milk out. So if you only pump an ounce, this does not mean that the baby isn't eating. It only means your pump isn't as good as a baby.

Good luck

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any advice for you, Cleo07 said it best.  I just wanted to say congratulations on the new baby and keep it up, you're doing great!

Oh, and wow, that pediatrician sounds...umm...well, dumb!  Just smile and nod.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Baby is NORMAL... they spend most of their first weeks of life on the breast.

Unfortunately doc is normal too... most of them spout off bad info. And his is bad.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Sounds normal, except the crazy dr.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Congratulations on the new baby. Just wanted to let you know that I'm a new mom too & have been ebf for 3 months now. I wouldnt have lasted a month without this group of awesome women. Any questions you have about breastfeeding come here before the Dr. also check out Kellymom.com for lots of good info. In the begining the baby will nurse all the time. My baby used to nurse every hour sometimes & stay on the breast for 45 mins. It's exhausting but it will get so much easier. Now my little one nurses every 3 to 4 hours for about 10 mins. It's super easy now & I love it. Keep up the hard work & mabey look into finding a new pediatrician. Most pediatricians are clueless about breastfeeding but they are not all like that. I actually have a great pedi that I researched & interviewed while I was pregnant to avoid this. He has never once advised me to suppliment & he told me that he wont tell me to suppliment unless the baby is doing really bad. He also has a breastfeeding support group in his office with lactation consultants on staff to help but thankfully I've never had to use them. Just figured I'd suggest finding a new pedi. As far as the engorgement goes it will even out in the next few months. The baby's constant nursing is telling your body to make more milk to meet his needs so just keep feeding on demand & if you are really uncomfortable you can express some of the milk for comfort. I pumped once a day in the begining to store some milk just to have on hand & now I have a nice stash. Frozen milk is good for a year in the deep freezer. Good luck & congratulations again & please come here for any questions, there is no TMI in this group. lol

mrsfitz05
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Both baby and your concern sound normal. Keep at it! You are doing everything right. Lanolin to avoid cracking! I can't promise it won't happen but if it does, it will pass!

If you aren't attached to this ped for some reason, do a little online research while baby is nursing so much. You might be able to find a more BF friendly doctor. I don't know where you are but it's worth a shot!

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM
What your baby is doing is completely normal. Your doctor is not educated on breastfeeding, so ignore what he says about feeding. If you're changing at least 6 diapers in a 24 hour period, your supply is fine and your baby is getting plenty. You already said that he's producing lots of dirty diapers, so you can stop worrying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

All these replies are everything I would say lol. You're doing great, it gets better just stick to your guns and DON'T let anyone tell you otherwise as long as baby gets enough diapers. Nothing else matters!! :)) Congrats time flies so enjoy it! I feel like just yesterday my dd was born and I'm currently planning her first birthday party next month! Still going strong with not a drop of formula. You can do it mama!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM
normal. We dealt with jaundice ec. too....keep on nursing often....if your still dealing with jaundice. If your baby wants to stay latched all day thats ok Watch diapers like was said....and indirect sunlight of course helps. If baby wants to sleep more yoy can tickle toes and stripdown baby to keep them awake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)