Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:-(

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 19 Replies
My baby ishaving a hard time to suck my nipple so I go to the nipple shield..
I'm sad cuz Im not comfortable using it and everytimei need to feed him I need to put it on. :-(
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is baby?

Think of the shield as a tool. You shouldn't have to use it forever, just to help LO for a bit. It will get better mom!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ApachePunk
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

if it helps baby get milk, it's worth it.

have you seen a lactation consultant about your babys latch? You can also watch some Jack Newman videos for a good visual: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/index.php

Start there, checking babys latch, see a LC, but it isn't the end of the world if you need to use the shield for a bit.

I had to use a shield for both of mine, the first for only 3 months and he nursed until 28 months. The second used the shield for 7 months (she has mouth deformities though) and is now 28 months and still nursing. It was just for a time, they got milk and eventually nursed without the shield. Without them we wouldn't have been able to breastfeed, so use what you have to.

When you use the shield try latching baby to just your nipple first, without the shield, and then go to the shield when you need to. Start every feeding that way, even if it doesn't work over and over again, keep doing it.

you'll do fine, mama!

My3beautys
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM
My daughter is the same way, she can't latch properly so I have to use it and I don't want to because its not so easy bf in public when you got to put it on!! Hope it gets better for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Have baby checked for tongue tie and don't stress over ter shield, lots of us have had to use them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Do you have flat or inverted nipples? Has baby been checked for lip and tongue ties? Have you seen an IBCLC to he'll baby latch?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Hi!  Glad to have you here and I am sorry that breastfeeding isn't going the way you'd like so far. 

Tell us what makes you think that the baby is having a hard time getting milk?  What is he doing exactly?

annaica
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

here is a great reference on latching- http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”– Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance
annaica
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

oh and here is tons of info about nipple shields- http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Please listen to me - I know that a lot of women on here are going to tell you to work with a lactation consultant and to try to work without the nipple shield, and they have VERY VALID POINTS.

HOWEVER

I know that it is incredibly stressful, especially if this is your first baby and you are dead set on breastfeeding. I went through the SAME THING with my first baby and I ended up going with a nipple shield. He nursed very successfully for almost a year with that, no issues for us. I would recommend, however, having several back ups handy (they like to disappear sometimes!) AND using the "contact" ones. This is just my two cents, but I completely understand because I went through this. Don't be sad - you are giving your baby breast milk which is the best thing for him!!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Nursing with a shield is better than NO nursing, keep that in mind, MOST babies can be weaned from a shield after a few weeks to a month too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)