Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting scared to bf

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 26 Replies
im about to have my first little boy.I attempted to bf my dd and it didnt work out very well.im just really worried about everything.it hurt so bad last time the kids dads doesnt want me to even try to bf again because i never produced enough last time.i have an amazing doctor this time(she is my ob and will be his dr as well she is a family dr) who is probreast feeding and prefers it over formula.im also worried it will be wierd because he is a boy.i know its different but i still worry about it...i REALLY dont want to ff this time but i cant afford a pump either so i am really stuck.sorry i guess this is just a vent more than anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM
No two experiences will be the same. Education is key. Kellymom.com is a great, reliable source on information on breastfeeding.

It's not weird to nurse a boy. It's how babies should be fed:-) I've been nursing my third son 15 months with no plans to stop for awhile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

ALOT of times people think they did not produce enough and its not true...what made you think you didnt produce enough, maybe we can ease some of those fears

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

btw boys are all I have BF and its not strange, a baby is a baby.  Its not you look at their junk while nursing generally lol

christineT79
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I understand. I'm a first time mom & have been breastfeeding for the last 3 months. I felt the same way when I was pregnant. I wanted to do it so bad but I was scared & totally overwhelmed. I was actually so consumed by it that I was having anxiety. Now it's funny to me because I love breastfeeding & it's so easy now. The begining is tough & my nipples were very sore but after about 2 months it became super easy & now is like second nature. If you can't afford a pump try going through your insurance co. I got paperwork from WIC that I gave to my pediatrician & he filled it out, faxed it in & I got an awesome Medella double electric pump in the mail the next day! My insurance paid for it in full & it was 300.00! I was so happy. Ask your Dr about it or call your insurance co or if you get WIC ask them. Just come here for advice on breastfeeding & read, read, read. If I didnt do so much research I wouldnt have been so successful. Good luck momma :)

merinasmommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Instead of gaining weight she lost it for the first 6 weeks.then she just stayed there until 4 months.she also had food allergies so when we switched her to alimentum she started gaining and didnt throw up near as much.she also ALWAYS acted hungry even right after feedings

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

ALOT of times people think they did not produce enough and its not true...what made you think you didnt produce enough, maybe we can ease some of those fears

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Its not weird, not matter what the sex of your baby is. You are the mother and you are nurturing your child exactly like nature intended and only how you are able to. It's a beautiful experience :-) You don't NEED a pump to breastfeed, you just have to be available for the fist 6 - 8 weeks to feed on demand - as soon as your baby cries, put him to the breast EVERY TIME. Also, do you have insurance? A lot of the time they will help you purchase a breast pump or even pay for the whole thing. I would check it out.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting merinasmommy:

Instead of gaining weight she lost it for the first 6 weeks.this shouldve been caught the first 2-3 weeks and shouldnt have continued til 6 weeks.  MANY things can cause this ranging from tongue tie to allergies and supply be JUST finethen she just stayed there until 4 monthsyeah thats a serious issue.she also had food allergiesAH HAH!! THATS the cause, it was not your supply it was allergies so when we switched her to alimentum she started gaining and didnt throw up near as much.an elimination diet wouldve most likely helped(if this were to happen again)she also ALWAYS acted hungry even right after feedingsalways lol....newborns ato about 2 months act starved and then always at growth spurts, BUT if she was allergic to stuff she was not digesting things properly and her tummy hurt so that would explain the nursing constantly too, nursing is comfort.  Sounds like a dairy protein issues to me.  This shouldnt happen with each baby and had nothing to do with supply

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

annaica
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The whole weight thing depends on many things.  Did you have a c-section?  Were the weights taken on the same scale each time?  Did they use the WHO chart for a breastfed baby?

We could pick apart all the things that went wrong the last time, but I'd like to make a couple points for you to keep in mind :)

1- every single child is a COMPLETELY different story. 

2- babies need to feel their mother's heartbeat and the best way for them to do it is snuggled up to the breast.  many times they're not even feeding, but just being comforted... and this is AWESOME to help your body learn how much milk to make for your little one!

3- If you know you don't want to formula feed, then that's all you need to keep you going with breastfeeding.  It takes you believing in yourself, looking for others with 1 or more years breastfeeding that can give you reliable advice...  Become familiar with your local La Leche League, breastfeeding USA, etc.  Visit kellymom when you need to know something, too!  It is the best place for evidence based info :)

Quoting merinasmommy:

Instead of gaining weight she lost it for the first 6 weeks.then she just stayed there until 4 months.she also had food allergies so when we switched her to alimentum she started gaining and didnt throw up near as much.she also ALWAYS acted hungry even right after feedings

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

merinasmommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM
no natural birth.and im not sure what type of chart they used.i was kinda stupid last time and didnt pay attention to anything.i have a feeling their dad is going to give him formula even if i say no(and yes we live together) he says its a waist of time to bf

Quoting annaica:

The whole weight thing depends on many things.  Did you have a c-section?  Were the weights taken on the same scale each time?  Did they use the WHO chart for a breastfed baby?

We could pick apart all the things that went wrong the last time, but I'd like to make a couple points for you to keep in mind :)

1- every single child is a COMPLETELY different story. 

2- babies need to feel their mother's heartbeat and the best way for them to do it is snuggled up to the breast.  many times they're not even feeding, but just being comforted... and this is AWESOME to help your body learn how much milk to make for your little one!

3- If you know you don't want to formula feed, then that's all you need to keep you going with breastfeeding.  It takes you believing in yourself, looking for others with 1 or more years breastfeeding that can give you reliable advice...  Become familiar with your local La Leche League, breastfeeding USA, etc.  Visit kellymom when you need to know something, too!  It is the best place for evidence based info :)

Quoting merinasmommy:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merinasmommy
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
i have state insurance(i know ill probably get bashed but our jobs dont offer insurance) stupid question do i offer if even if he just needs a diaper change or something?i didnt with dd

Quoting MamaDee83:

Its not weird, not matter what the sex of your baby is. You are the mother and you are nurturing your child exactly like nature intended and only how you are able to. It's a beautiful experience :-) You don't NEED a pump to breastfeed, you just have to be available for the fist 6 - 8 weeks to feed on demand - as soon as your baby cries, put him to the breast EVERY TIME. Also, do you have insurance? A lot of the time they will help you purchase a breast pump or even pay for the whole thing. I would check it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)