Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stash

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM
  • 3 Replies

What do you store your extra milk in and how do you label it? What else should i know about pumping and storing milk?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
maggiemom2000
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I stored mine in breastmilk storage bags, with the date pthe milk was pumped written on the bag.

What else should you know about pumping and storing milk?

from 

How much milk should I have stored in my freezer?

Many mothers find that they feel less stress if they to know that they don't need to create a large freezer stash of milk before they return to work. Instead, they can use their maternity leave to focus on being with their babies and getting breastfeeding well-established. If you have enough milk to send with your baby on your first day, then you have enough in the freezer.

It is important to express as much milk while you are at work as your baby needs during that time. If your baby needs 10 ounces while you are away at work, then you need to pump at least 10 ounces each day.
For example:
If you were to only pump 8 ounces and send 2 ounces from the freezer each day, you would not be expressing the amount of milk your baby requires. Your body will “think” that your baby needs 2 fewer ounces each day than he really does, and your production will not match his demand. If you start to run out of milk in your freezer, you may face the difficult decision of how to meet your baby’s needs. Many mothers learn too late that increasing their milk supply to meet their baby’s demands is more complex than it seems. Meeting your child’s daily needs for expressed milk during separation is the best way to avoid difficulties later.

Using the simple system described, you pump each day what your baby would need the next day. This way you only use the small freezer stash for emergencies, such as dropping and spilling a day’s worth of milk, or other milk-related calamities.

from

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

How should I store the milk I pump at work? Do I put it all in the freezer?

In order for your baby to get the most anti-infective properties from your milk, it is best to offer it fresh whenever possible. Freezing has been found to denature some of the antibodies and kill some of the living cells in milk (Orlando, 2006; Buckley & Charles, 2006). Whether fresh or frozen, your milk provides all the nutrition your baby needs, and you can count on your milk to support your baby in all areas of growth and development.

Here is a schedule many working mothers recommend for using frozen milk. With this system, your baby gets more fresh milk and therefore the best possible nutrition and immune factors to protect him from illness:

• Pump on Monday; give this milk to your babysitter to use on Tuesday.
  • Pump on Tuesday; use this milk on Wednesday and so on until Friday.
  • Pump on Friday, label with the date, and freeze this milk; put it in the back of the freezer.
  • Use the oldest milk in the freezer for Monday.
  • Use your freezer stash only when you have an unusual need for extra milk, for example, when your baby is going through a growth spurt or you accidentally spill all of your freshly-pumped milk.
This system prevents the frozen milk from getting too old and needing to be thrown out. Another option would be to refrigerate Friday’s milk over the weekend and let your babysitter use it on Monday. This practice would preserve more of the antibodies in Friday’s milk but would not use up your frozen milk before it goes out of date.
christineT79
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I store my milk in the storage bags. I label them with the date & how many oz is in the bag. When the milk freezes it tends to expand in the bag so 1oz might look like 3oz when frozen. A funny tip: My pedi told me to label any bags that I pump after I have any caffine that way I don't use that bag in the middle of the night & wonder why the baby won't go back to sleep. lol.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Never thought of that, lol.

I store in lanoish bags and freeze flat. This way I can liable with the date and amount of ozs. Then once frozen I put them in a shoe box or empty soda boxes so they stay organized better and have less of a chance to get bumped around and damaged.

Quoting christineT79:

I store my milk in the storage bags. I label them with the date & how many oz is in the bag. When the milk freezes it tends to expand in the bag so 1oz might look like 3oz when frozen. A funny tip: My pedi told me to label any bags that I pump after I have any caffine that way I don't use that bag in the middle of the night & wonder why the baby won't go back to sleep. lol.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)