Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Breast Pump and other questions

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

I found out today I am pregnant and I am trying to get ahead of the game this time... 

What is the best breast pump?

Is there anything I can do to ensure a good supply?

What items will I need to buy to ensure happy breastfeeding?

What breastfeeding Item could you not live without? 

Advice from moms who have done it is always welcome

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maggiemom2000
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Quoting countrybaby89:

I found out today I am pregnant and I am trying to get ahead of the game this time... 

It depends on your pumping needs. Will you be a SAHM? If so, a simple hand/manual pump like the Medela Harmony or the Avent Isis is perfect and inexpensive.

Going back to school or work and will be pumping every day? Hygeia Enjoye or Ameda Purely yours. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for and you need a good quality pump if you will be away from baby on a regular basis.

Nurse your baby on demand. If baby wants to nurse 10 minutes after a feeding, then that is what you need to do! Avoid pumping, bottle feeding, and pacifiers in the first 4-6 weeks.

I leaked a lot and really liked my washable breast pads, but some moms don't leak a drop!

Just the breast pads.

hottamolly00
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting countrybaby89:

What is the best breast pump? Medela Pump in Style Advanced. (Double Electric)

Is there anything I can do to ensure a good supply? Yes. Nurse on demand and pump when you can.

A good pump,

a couple of nursing bras (get measured AFTER having the baby... I bought a same-size as pre-baby and got mastitis from wearing a too-small bra),

A Boppy or My Breast Friend pillow

Nursing Cover for outside the home (if you're modest, like me...if you don't care, nurse freely!)

Lansinoh freezer bags...they hold more ounces and store more flat than the Medela brand.

Pump-piece cleaning brushes.

What breastfeeding Item could you not live without? I made a pumping bra out of an old bra... I just cut holes in it, so I saved myself $40 and could pump hands-free.

Advice from moms who have done it is always welcome  Be strong and stand your ground when people ask why they can't give baby a bottle. Be informed and ready to explain the implications of giving a bottle.  Don't let a bout of mastitis break up your breastfeeding relationship...it hurts like hell, but it goes away with anti-biotics and you'll pat yourself on the back when it's over with.

Mia055
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Right now I'm using a Medela hand pump, just for at home and I love it =)

I heard that Mother's Milk tea can help build supply, also eating oatmeal

Right now, the breast pads, a good nursing bra, and there are also nursing tank tops which is my favorite, you can get them at Walmart $12 =) and Lanolin cream for dry or cracked nipples....so far I have rarely needed it but with my second son I couldn't have enough...that's good to get even before you have the baby because you will start leaking soon

Just remember that a baby stomach isn't that big, when they're born its just a size of a marble, when they are several weeks old its just smaller than a golf ball....so don't feel bad if you only pump an ounce or 2, cuz that maybe all they are getting anyway and then they are full, that's why feedings are so frequent

Congrats!! And best wishes to you =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrybaby89
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Can anyone reccomend a nice 42G nursing bra (well bigger once I have the baby thats my size right now)

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Congrats!!! How exciting. Do you know your due date yet?

As maggiemom said above. It really depends on how often it will be used and how long.

Nurse baby on demand. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. So the more demanded the more that will be supplied. Also keep in mind the breast is a factory and not storage. A floppy boob is a working one where as a hard/full boob is not good.

Go out now and buy the book "so that's what they're for" by Janet Tomaro. It is a funny book but full of good info. Also I love my washable breast pads. I think they last longer than disposables as far as how often they need to be changed. A boppy or a breastfriend pillow are nice but not mandatory. I have a boppy and only ever use it at the very beginning when an extra hand is nice.

My washable breast pads. With the disposable ones I would have to change them after every feeding. With my washable ones I maybe change them 2 times a day.

Advice from moms who have done it is always welcome.
Don't listen to drs. They have next to no training in nutrition. They like formula because it can be measured and breast milk cannot. They only way to tell if baby is getting enough is by diapers. For everyday of life up to a week old you want a diaper a day. Meaning day 1=1 diaper, day 2=2 diapers and so on until day 6=6 diapers. After that you want 6-8 diapers each day. A heavy wet or a poopy count as 2 diapers. Keep in this group and read up as much as you can. Also go to kellymom.com and start reading up. The more knowledge you have about breastfeeding the longer you will be successful. I didn't learn much about breastfeeding with my first DS and I only made it 7 weeks before I gave in to drs bad info. With my second I was more dertermined and I found this site and I nursed DD for 23 months, she self weaned because I was 3 months pregnant with DS2. As of now I am currently nursing DS2 and he's just over 3 weeks old. Which reminds me that the first 3 months or so are the hardest but that's because it's one constant growth spurt. I could keep going and going here but I will stop for now. Any questions don't be afraid to ask us!! Congrats again momma!!!
countrybaby89
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Yes August 22nd so 4 weeks today (12/13)

Quoting shortyali:

As maggiemom said above. It really depends on how often it will be used and how long.

Nurse baby on demand. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. So the more demanded the more that will be supplied. Also keep in mind the breast is a factory and not storage. A floppy boob is a working one where as a hard/full boob is not good.

Go out now and buy the book "so that's what they're for" by Janet Tomaro. It is a funny book but full of good info. Also I love my washable breast pads. I think they last longer than disposables as far as how often they need to be changed. A boppy or a breastfriend pillow are nice but not mandatory. I have a boppy and only ever use it at the very beginning when an extra hand is nice.

My washable breast pads. With the disposable ones I would have to change them after every feeding. With my washable ones I maybe change them 2 times a day.

Don't listen to drs. They have next to no training in nutrition. They like formula because it can be measured and breast milk cannot. They only way to tell if baby is getting enough is by diapers. For everyday of life up to a week old you want a diaper a day. Meaning day 1=1 diaper, day 2=2 diapers and so on until day 6=6 diapers. After that you want 6-8 diapers each day. A heavy wet or a poopy count as 2 diapers. Keep in this group and read up as much as you can. Also go to kellymom.com and start reading up. The more knowledge you have about breastfeeding the longer you will be successful. I didn't learn much about breastfeeding with my first DS and I only made it 7 weeks before I gave in to drs bad info. With my second I was more dertermined and I found this site and I nursed DD for 23 months, she self weaned because I was 3 months pregnant with DS2. As of now I am currently nursing DS2 and he's just over 3 weeks old. Which reminds me that the first 3 months or so are the hardest but that's because it's one constant growth spurt. I could keep going and going here but I will stop for now. Any questions don't be afraid to ask us!! Congrats again momma!!!

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM
YAY!!! My DD was supposed to be an Aug baby but she decided at 34 weeks she was done growing so my dr pulled her at just over 38 weeks, on Juky 30th. The only thing that stinks about being that prego towards the end of summer is the heat.

Quoting countrybaby89:

Quoting shortyali:

countrybaby89
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh trust me I know... My 4yo was born 9/5 and my 2yo was born 10/5

Quoting shortyali:

YAY!!! My DD was supposed to be an Aug baby but she decided at 34 weeks she was done growing so my dr pulled her at just over 38 weeks, on Juky 30th. The only thing that stinks about being that prego towards the end of summer is the heat.

Quoting countrybaby89:

Quoting shortyali:

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Quoting countrybaby89:

Good! Then it's not too late for me to tell you this:

Buy NO nursery gear or clothes till you've stuffed your head overflowing with breastfeeding information. Don't set foot into Babies R Us for months yet. Instead, straright to the bookstore. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're Fod!" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." Read 'em through.

Get to know kellymom.com. And read the posts here. Spend one week reading here and you'll know more than most docs do!

Depends on your needs. Working? Ameda Purely Yours, Hygeia Enjoye, Medela "Style" models. Not working/ Avent Isis.

Nurse ON DEMAND. No matter how long, no matter how often. No clocks.

The books listed above. Add Lansinoh, breast pads and a sling (many varieties, all good and the differences are a matter of personal preference). Done.

Two breasts. That and a head full of knowledge are what you NEED. The rest is optional.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)