Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My son has reflux and has episode where hebspits up the majority of what he takes in. After that he is hungry again and wants to nurse. Is it bad if I keep nursing him and he keeps spitting it up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
tbursac777
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

i have this same problem!!

I've found it really helps to make sure to burp them ALOT.. one or 2 burps aren't usually enough... we need 3 or 4.. then i have to keep him propped up for atleat 30 mins afterwards to be in the clear.

Try those things!

my baby is one month old today, and we just figured all this out last week.. and it's helped ALOT!

Shygirl951
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Thanks a bunch :)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Holy moly! That just screams oversupply and usually forceful letdown goes with it. The symptoms of reflux mimic the symptoms of forceful letdown and oversupply, and most if the time it's not reflux.
If you go on Kellymom.com and search forceful letdown or oversupply, you'll get tons of great info. Recline nursing and block feeding (if necessary) usually takes care of it. :)

Quoting Shygirl951:

He has been gaining an ounce and a half a day up until this week were it has went back down to the normal ounce. He is 4 weeks tomorrow. I don't think I have an oversupply he didn't do any of those besides the gassy part and gets fussy after feedings. I do leak a lot tho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Oh and to answer your original question, yes you can keep nursing baby. He'll know when to stop. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shygirl951
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Thank you so much, I get so worried with him spitting up so much and did not want to give him those meds for reflux. They did give him the barium test tho, is that not accurate?
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM
You most, likely have an oversupply. Expected gain is 4oz a week! Hes been gaining 2-3xs that.
Begin block feeding on one breast for 2-3 feedings before you switch to the other for another 2-3 feedings. All feedings he needs to be on top of your breast to help him better control the flow. You can lay back and put him on top or side laying
Shygirl951
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
What are block feedings?
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Read my reply above.
Block feeding is when you nurse off one breast for a set amount of time/feedings. you start with smaller blocks of time like 2-3 feedings and increase if needed. I am currenly on 12hr.blocks

Quoting Shygirl951:

What are block feedings?

Shygirl951
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Oh I see, do I pump the other side or just leave it alone?
Shygirl951
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I found it finally on Kelly mom. Thank you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN