Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weird question...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 8 Replies
Well for some reason I couldn't do this anonymously but oh well, here goes nothing...
My son is 4 months old. I've been breast feeding him and just recently it got uncomfortable for me. Is it normal to get turned on when I breast feed, does this happen to anyone else?? I just feel so awkward and weird when this happens when I'm feeding my son...
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Errrr, I personally have never heard of this, as most women's hormones don't really ALLOW for that sort of thing to happen. IF you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. I would see what other women say, maybe they have heard of this before? I would ask your doctor, but I'm afraid that a lot of them probably have no clue wtf they are doing with nursing anyway and will just tell you to stop breastfeeding. Are you taking BC pills?

SendMeBabyDust
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You can't  post anonymously in this group. However to answer your question, I've heard of it happening. It's a physical response not a mental one so it's not a creepy turned on. Give it time & I bet it will pass.

BabyFruit Ticker

christineT79
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I've read about some women having orgasms while nursing. It's never happened to me but it happens to some.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

What you describe is actually very common. People don't like to talk about it, so few moms will admit that the have experienced it.

It is simply a physical reaction. I think it helps to just accept the fact that it is a physical reaction and it doesn't mean anything. When you feel it, just redirect your thoughts.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a good explanation for you:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but sometimes when I feed my daughter, I feel a little aroused. I read this is normal. Is it?

Susan Condon

lactation consultant

There is nothing to be embarrassed about.
It's a normal physiological response to lactation hormones. Breastfeeding feels good! If it didn't, very few mothers would do it. It might help to understand just what hormonal responses are taking place.

As your baby nurses, prolactin — known as the "mothering hormone" — stimulates the body to manufacture milk. This hormone gives you a feeling of relaxation and well-being. Oxytocin, another hormone secreted during breastfeeding, causes the alveoli to contract, releasing milk into the ducts, the milk sinuses, and your baby's mouth. This hormone is responsible for the tingling sensation some mothers feel before a milk ejection reflex, or letdown, and the postpartum uterine cramping felt while breastfeeding.

Oxytocin also causes labor contractions during childbirth and pleasure contractions during orgasm. Varying amounts of oxytocin are attributed to these different contractions. The arousal you describe while nursing may also be the result of the empowerment and satisfaction you feel knowing that you are meeting all of your daughter's nutritional and emotional needs at the breast.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You don't need to be anon here. What you report is not at all unusual. Breastfeeding releases oxytocin, the same hormone released during orgasm. It happenes to MANY moms.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM
No need to be anonymous here :)
Oxytocin is released while breastfeeding, and just like G said, it's also released during an orgasm, it's the "feel good" hormone. I've never personally felt what you're feeling, BUT it's normal. Just try to distracted yourself while nursing (if you want), surf the internet, grab a book, watch something funny. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)