Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One full side and one empty side

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
My daughter is 1 1/2 weeks old, this is my 4th child. Just wondering why with this baby my left breast always seem's full and is bigger than the right, which is always less full to the touch. I do not supplement but she only eats for about 8 minutes on any feeding. She has plenty of poop/pee diapers and I am not concerned about that. I do however worry about my milk supply decreasing because one breast never seems empty.

Forgot to mention that I alternate breasts each feeding. Maybe I should try other feeding options. But she still does not stay awake for a long period of time to finish eating on one side. Any advice on feeding options or how to make her stay up to feed is appreciated.
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM

One suggestion is block feeding. I couldn't manage block feeding, it made me too uncomfortable in the overproductive breast. My left makes 3x what my right does, but apparently that's my right's holding capacity. It still gives me that full feeling that needs to be relieved.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM
How are diapers? If you're changing enough diapers, the length of feedings does not matter. What goes in, must come out. If it is coming out, it has to be going in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM
I wouldn't worry. It's normal for one breast to make more than the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imablowe
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM
But do I continue feeding every other breast or do I try to feed more on the full breast and less on the emptier breast? Diaper counts are good, never thought that the few minutes she gets is doing the trick but I was just concerned about not being completely empty (which is what each breast is supposed to be to make enough milk).
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 5:08 AM
For a little while I fed dd every 3 hours on one breast then the next 3
I switched.
It worked for me

Now I switch every other feeding
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM
If you feed more on the fuller breast and less on the "empty" side, you are going to signal the full side to make even MORE and the empty side to make even LESS.
I would just feed off of both sides equally (ok, in reality I always fed more off my side that made less trying to even things out because unevenness drives me crazy, lol) and not worry about it.

Quoting imablowe:

But do I continue feeding every other breast or do I try to feed more on the full breast and less on the emptier breast? Diaper counts are good, never thought that the few minutes she gets is doing the trick but I was just concerned about not being completely empty (which is what each breast is supposed to be to make enough milk).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Agree ^^
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)