Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do i need a pump?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
My baby girl will be here any day and I thought I still had my pump from ds but its gone!! I remember what its like to be totally engorged and I would pump a bit the first few days. Will I need one when my milk comes in or can I just let dd take care of my engorgment?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momma2013
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Don't know what kind of pump you're getting, I was told to wait. The hospital has the same pumps for even cheaper! Some couple thought it was so serious, they just told me about it when I was looking at pumps at Babies R Us. :)

Juliet8826
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I would say no, you don't NEED a pump. You might find that you need to relieve a little pressure during the engorgement stage, but you could just hand express for that. It is pretty easy to learn. You could also get an inexpensive manual pump like the Medela Harmony (i think that's it...) if you want to have something, but if you're not planning to go back to work then you likely won't ever need a pump.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Your baby can relieve engorgement for you.  Pumping actually prolongs the problem.  If you're not going back to work, the avent isis manual is a great pump for occasional use.

hello_kitty25
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

i let my 1st take care of my engorgment, but this time i had a hand pump just to pump like 2 oz. when it got really bad.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Hand expressing can work to relieve engorgement without sending the "make more milk" signal that pumping does. If you just nurse on demand, your supply will eventually regulate to your baby's needs. Pumping will delay the regulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CocoMama88
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Thank you mamas!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
desisue0131
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I had to use a manual for a few seconds before I could get baby to latch on in the beginning, these things were like rocks! But I did like my double electric for storing some milk for when I had to be away from baby. I pumped 1 time a day for the first 2 weeks. I always had issues with making enough milk and the pump would help boost it when I needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)