• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips On Weaning

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 4 Replies

I need some tips in weaning my son.  He is 9 months old. I started working a couple months ago and don't have much time to pump, so the only time I do pump is when I get home from work.  At daycare he drinks pumped breastmilk, and formula if he runs out of milk.  I think he is growing accoustummed to the bottle.  Last night when I offered my breast, he would only take the bottle, so I think he's ready too. I'm just not sure how to go about this. And how do I deal with engorged breasts from lack of nursing?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Leave solids and sippy full of water while he's at daycare. He'll make up for it when you're together. No need to wean mama.
If you do want to wean tho, you need to drop one feeding per week and replace it with formula until all gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM
You should be getting pumping breaks! It is a federal law. Your baby isn't ready to wean, he has bottle flow preference and doesn't want to work for his food at the breast since he can get the faster, easier bottle if he refuses to nurse. How much is he getting in bottles at daycare? Breastfed babies should only get 2-3 ounces given every 2-3 hours fed slowly. The bottle should be parallel to the floor, fed an ounce, stop and burp, switch sides, feed an ounce, burp, etc. until the baby is done. This technique slows the feeding down so the baby doesn't develop a flow preference and be overfed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Just because he prefers the bottle right now doesn't mean he's ready to wean. It's sort of like when he gets oloder and prefers root beer to milk. Doesn't mean he's ready to be on all root beer all the time, right?

You CAN choose to never give a bottle when you are home, give them only when you're away and keep the servings small... an eight hour workday needs 8-10 ounces.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

And if you really want to wean... drop one feeding or pumping per week till gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)