Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this a myth? if you dont build a supply in the first 6 weeks you never do?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM
  • 26 Replies

dr sears said there was a study that said that if mom doesnt make her full supply in the first six wees, say if baby is tongue tied, then she will never be able to make a full supply? is this true? I got an sns today and so far my son has had 5 ounces of supplement today, and worrking on another 2 right now. i am ebfing overnight because i have more milk at night, i only see him getting another 2 ounces tonight after this.. making 9 oz total today doc wanted 16 but i dont think that is necassary...what do you girls thing? im giving him 2 oz supplement whenever he asks and supplementing at breast

also can i still nurse him into toddlerhood? after a year would he still need to be supplemented or could i nurse him without a full supply because he has food and stuff?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BLUMENSH9
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Why are you supplementing? are you using formula or breast milk to supplement? If you are worried about suply, pump and use that to supplement, it will helpbuild a supply. The more formula you give the less milk baby wants therefore you milk supply can go down. How old is baby? How are diapers when not supplementing? 6-8 in 24 hours is show of good supply. You can always build your supply. A good way to build the supply is to stopsupplementing and offer the breast more often. Kellymom.com is a good resource, also get intouch with a lactation consultant, that will help. And YES you can still nurse into toddlerhood. ;)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
yikesitsmindy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Why do you think you have a supply issue and how do you know you have more at night? I know my supply is great, but I cant actually tell when dd is getting milk.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM

HUGE myth, Kaitlyn. And yes, you can nurse him into toddlerhood.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Baby's losing weight. Which tels me there's SOMETHING going other than the nursing. But it will take a little time of supplementing to see what happens.

LucyHourglass
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

diapers were great, but baby was not gaining and had lost a few ounces, not sure why. suspected maybe his tie grew back or maybe i have insuffiencent glandular tissue. I do not respond to the pump, at all. I gave my pump to my friend who is donating some milk to me, so we are supplemetning with donor milk at the breast via sns. sns should build my supply theoretically.we cannot stop supplementing, we have had problems since he was born i am just now accepting he needs supplements for the next 6 months.

Quoting BLUMENSH9:

Why are you supplementing? are you using formula or breast milk to supplement? If you are worried about suply, pump and use that to supplement, it will helpbuild a supply. The more formula you give the less milk baby wants therefore you milk supply can go down. How old is baby? How are diapers when not supplementing? 6-8 in 24 hours is show of good supply. You can always build your supply. A good way to build the supply is to stopsupplementing and offer the breast more often. Kellymom.com is a good resource, also get intouch with a lactation consultant, that will help. And YES you can still nurse into toddlerhood. ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

LucyHourglass
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

weight problems.. we had his tongue tie clipped already. i know he gets more at night because my other side lets down (in the day it doesnt) and his over night diaper is SOAKING

Quoting yikesitsmindy:

Why do you think you have a supply issue and how do you know you have more at night? I know my supply is great, but I cant actually tell when dd is getting milk.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM
DS had a tongue tie (& is allergic to cows milk) And was losing weight. We are still nursing at 19 months!

We had to supplement. I ended up pumping 2-3 times a day & DH gave bottles before work & after he got home, I did 1-2 oz after some feeds during the day. I would get about 10 oz, at one point DS was getting 14 oz/day of supplement (10 from me, 4 of formula). Your breastmilk has more fat & calories than any formula, so definitely try to pump!

I always nursed first & for as long as baby wanted. If he was super frustrated, I would give him supplement. I rented a medela scale from the hospital & used that to slowly decrease the supplements (1-2 oz every 3-4 days). We got over the supplements in about 6 weeks.

I had his tongue re-clipped at 3 months. I also had an occupational therapist come to my house & train me on how to help stretch his mouth & get him to deep suck. Between those & quitting all milk products, DS gained something like 6 pounds in 6 weeks. It CAN be done!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

hes starting to kind of hurt my nipples, so it MAY be insufficient glandular tissue, or, it may be that his tongue tie grew back or it was not properly cut in the first place. We are going to make an appointment for his chiropractor and ask her to look at his tongue, if he does need it clipped again, i have no idea how we are going to afford that.. its 450 dollars. we just dont have that kind of money, especially since im still paying back my aunt for last time. i ended up giving him 7 ounces of supplement today, he already feels way heavier. he was very happy today, and i noticed he had a lot less gas today for some reason.

Quoting gdiamante:

Baby's losing weight. Which tels me there's SOMETHING going other than the nursing. But it will take a little time of supplementing to see what happens.

Char07
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I would bet either it wasn't clipped all the way or it's grown back, then add in supply regulation and you run into weight problems from 4-6 months. I used domperidone with my last and barely made it through not supplementing and was able to drop the domperidone around 12 months and she continued to nurse until her 2nd birthday (she never had her tie cut). I'm now bfing #4 (he's 2 months) and he had his tie clipped twice once by laser and is doing good with weights so far but I know his latch is not 100% so I'm watching in case it drops off in which case I'd get domperidone again and start pumping to up supply.

I don't know if you've ever looked into it but the domperidone alone helped increase my dd's intake within 72 hours.

And I do think 16oz is a bit much... Can you get a scale and play around with supplement amounts to figure out how much you need to be giving to get sufficient gain.

...and for piece of mind my dd's gain was very low and we barely made it through without supplementing but she is doing great (developmentally and health wise, she actually has a dairy intolerance so supplementing formula could have really hurt her since we didn't figure out the dairy issue until 18 months). Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juliet8826
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Quoting LucyHourglass:

hes starting to kind of hurt my nipples, so it MAY be insufficient glandular tissue, or, it may be that his tongue tie grew back or it was not properly cut in the first place. We are going to make an appointment for his chiropractor and ask her to look at his tongue, if he does need it clipped again, i have no idea how we are going to afford that.. its 450 dollars. we just dont have that kind of money, especially since im still paying back my aunt for last time. i ended up giving him 7 ounces of supplement today, he already feels way heavier. he was very happy today, and i noticed he had a lot less gas today for some reason.

Quoting gdiamante:

The less gas makes me wonder about a food allergy/sensitivity. Could there be something that you eat frequently that your friend does not? My understanding is that allergies can cause poor weight gain too. Def. have the tie looked at again...perhaps there would be a reduced fee since it was not done right the first time? Or is that just wishful thinking in my part?  Also, since you mentioned that your one side does not let down during the day I am thinking that you might need a chiropractic adjustment or massage therapy work yourself to help you let down. My doula does hyponobirthing and she has relaxation tapes for breast feeding to help you relax and letdown. That might be an option too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)