Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How soon does milk change during pregnancy

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM
  • 14 Replies
I breast feed my toddler to sleep still. She'll be 3 in march and found myself leaning towards child lead weaning But.... I just found out I'm expecting again yeah. I've heard the milk starts to taste bad or different once pregnant. It hurts to nurse so I'm hoping that she does give it up pretty quickly. Any personal stories would be great. Thank you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadsmummy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I nursed all the way through. My oldest didn't skip a beat.
BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Depends really. Every pregnancy and woman is different. She may or may not wean on her own but you can certainly encourage her to wean. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and nursing my 21 month old with no end in sight. I was most sore and sensitive during my first trimester. It isn't so bad anymore but I was limiting nursing because it was so painful and I was irritable. My supply dropped while I was doing so but when the pain subsided I would let him nurse more frequently and I seems to have maintained my supply. Congratulations!
Jess__C
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Another question I have is what about the colostrum ? Will there be enough for the infant? How do I prevent my oldest ( omg te-he that's awesome) from getting to it first.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Quoting Jess__C:

Another question I have is what about the colostrum ? Will there be enough for the infant? How do I prevent my oldest ( omg te-he that's awesome) from getting to it first.

Make sure you feed the baby as much as he/she wants and then the older child will get the "leftovers".
MaryJarrett
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM
No worries. Do what works for you all. Some prefer to nurse baby first. I have always had a massive oversupply and over active letdown. My toddler handled that better so I always nursed my toddler first. You won't run out of milk, either way. :) You'll get colostrum at the same time you would during a regular pregnancy, anywhere from 12+ wks on. I nursed until my water broke, then nursed my infant immediately, and my toddler the next morning (she was asleep when Dd2 was born).

My oldest nursed all through my pregnancy without a supply dip. My moms oldest 4 all weaned during subsequent pregnancies. Both ways are normal. You just have to go with the flow.

Congrats on your nursing relationship and your pregnancy!!

Quoting Jess__C:

larissalarie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM
It replenishes. They'll be plenty.

Mine never did give up nursing while I was pregnant, but supposedly about 50% do.

Quoting Jess__C:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NollynsMommy14
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I dried up in my 3rd month ds1 was 18 mon :( 

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I didn't notice my milk changing in taste - I guess I should say dd didn't notice. But she sure noticed when my milk dried up at 20 weeks. We weaned after that (she was 23 months). I noticed colostrum around 26 weeks.

Hyman
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I'm nursing my 16 mo old and just found out I'm 3 months pregnant! Lol. I never would've known. My son doesn't show any sign of slowing down or a hint that my milk changed or slowed down.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM
I'm 5-6 weeks pregnant. DS went through a nasty nursing strike about a week ago....turns out he had a nasty stomach bug & once that got better he went back to nursing.

My friends 2 year old nursed through pregnancy, but nursed less then she did before her mom got pregnant.

Through the LLL I attend, 3 or 4 moms have nursed through pregnancy (out of 5?)....but it seems like the moms who want to wean, wean, & the moms that let their child choose - continue to nurse in those cases.

Kellymom has some interesting info - I've been reading their articles about pregnancy & nursing lately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)