Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Get It Up (Long)

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM
  • 28 Replies
I posted yesterday when I first found out there is a problem, but I was able to meet with my LC today so I have more info. I just need to talk/vent/ramble/organize my thoughts a little better. Sorry for any repetitiveness. :X

My DD's 4mo checkup was yesterday and she was the same exact weight as her 2mo checkup. I had no idea she wasn't gaining. She seemed satisfied after feedings and she grew length-wise enough to go up a size in clothes. Her diaper count was even good. I don't ever feel full or leak, but I assumed my milk regulated, not dipped. I'm still able to squirt milk when I pinch my nipples. (Is that normal for low supply?) I really did think we were doing fine. So it came as a big shock that there's even a problem.

A few points my LC made today:
-I was prescribed the wrong birth control. Ortho cycline, I think it was called. Last month I switched to Loestrin which still contains estrogen, just a bit less. She said these pills have probably been the biggest factor in my supply dip.
-My baby sucks her thumb, like all of the time. She said that some babies are "content to be hungry," as in she needs more calories, but she's become used to not getting enough so when the edge is taken off of her hunger she's able to soothe herself with the thumb and not be fussy.
-Baby sleeps a very long stretch at night, like 8-10 hours. So she should be making up for it during the day, but she isn't. She said it isn't dire enough a situation yet to wake her at night since she sleeps so awesome she doesn't think I should mess with it. (That's reassuring to hear - I do like my sleep.)
-Baby only transferred ONE ounce after nursing (roughly) 10min. on the first side, 10min. on the second, and 7min. back on the first. And that was an ever longer feeding than she normally does at home.

All of these things make sense. I feel better having been able to pinpoint the issue. She has a weight check at the pedi in two weeks. My LC thinks we can get at least 8 ounces on her by then if things go well.

Here's the plan:
-Going off the BC pill. (Informed my midwife of this today)
-Nurse more frequently, longer sessions, switch nurse, skin to skin, etc.
-Pump after each feed and during naps and after bed.
-Supplement 2oz 4x per day. (A dear friend is donating her milk to start this on Thursday.) While my husband is at work my 4 year old will give her the bottles after I nurse so I can pump during that time.
-Fenugreek 3x day.
-Oatmeal daily.
-Possibly blessed thistle. (A friend is giving me some tomorrow but I am not firmiliar with it.)

I hope it's ME that's the issue causing this and I can up my supply and watch her pack on the pounds. I am going to be holding my breath until she's better. I am such a worry wort. But I do feel good knowing that I am doing everything in my power to get us back on track as quickly as possible.

[Hopefully this isn't filled with typos. Ignore them if it is please. ;) I'm posting from my phone.]
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The mini pill doesn't have any estrogen in it. I'm on it and haven't noticed any change with my milk.

o0laurie.love0o
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM
That's what I should have been on. Shame on me for not researching the pill I was prescribed before starting it. I was too trusting of the midwife. Lesson learned there.

I'm not going back on the pill. My husband and I are deciding whether a vasectomy or Paragard is best for us.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

The mini pill doesn't have any estrogen in it. I'm on it and haven't noticed any change with my milk.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I don't think I could do the Paragard. We're also thinking about a vasectomy. Still not 100% sure though. We know we're done NOW but not sure about 10 years from now. I would say we're about 90% sure we're done for good. We have two girls, 2 years old and almost 5 years old.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

That's what I should have been on. Shame on me for not researching the pill I was prescribed before starting it. I was too trusting of the midwife. Lesson learned there.

I'm not going back on the pill. My husband and I are deciding whether a vasectomy or Paragard is best for us.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

o0laurie.love0o
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM
We are more like 99% sure, but its much more expensive (not covered by ins) so it'd have to be financed, whereas the Paragard is covered. I had it before, and loved it, but it ended up slipping out of place and I got pregnant with my most recent DD around the time it was removed. Oops! ;) If I got another, and it stayed put, I'd be happy with it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I don't think I could do the Paragard. We're also thinking about a vasectomy. Still not 100% sure though. We know we're done NOW but not sure about 10 years from now. I would say we're about 90% sure we're done for good. We have two girls, 2 years old and almost 5 years old.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure. But we talked about adopting also. So if he was to get the procedure done at least we have that option.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

We are more like 99% sure, but its much more expensive (not covered by ins) so it'd have to be financed, whereas the Paragard is covered. I had it before, and loved it, but it ended up slipping out of place and I got pregnant with my most recent DD around the time it was removed. Oops! ;) If I got another, and it stayed put, I'd be happy with it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Nicky2911
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Ask to see your child's growth chart... that thing they keep marking every time they weigh her. Once they weighed my dd (we were doing fine with bf btw) and it showed that after a month she had actually lost an ounce. We went through this whole panic where they had me see half a dozen doctors, lactation consultants, and wanted to weigh her every week. None of it made any freakin sense to me. Plenty of poopy and pee diapers, growing height, happy and satisfied kid who seemed to be on the classic feeding and sleeping schedule. How could this happen.

Finally I insisted on looking at her previous weight gain numbers. Calculated it out and saw a huge error in what they had written down the time before the supposed "weight loss." By their number she would have had to have gained 2 lbs a week or something I don't remember but I do remember that if I ignored that one weigh in and based it on the one before it and the recent ones, she seemed to be spot on (textbook even). They had just put down too big of a number the last time so that when she came back it seemed like she had lost weight. Just saying... if it all seems kinda off to you ask to see the numbers....

o0laurie.love0o
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I think that's great. My hubby wouldn't go for it, but I'm not bent out of shape about it. I am happy with my 3 babies. And it's probably best I don't have another just because I have a heart condition irritated by pregnancy. This last one I was in and out of the ER so many times, and my local EMT's became my second family. Lol. I'm a little bummed to make it official, though. I loved my pregnancies and births. It felt so empowering. I'll definitely miss it!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure. But we talked about adopting also. So if he was to get the procedure done at least we have that option.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

o0laurie.love0o
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I'm happy to hear your baby was healthier than your were led to believe! Must have been a huge relief.

I have looked at the charts and numbers, though. I had been going to a weekly support group and having her weight and transfer weight recorded. Their numbers matched up with the pedi office's numbers, and about the same amount of time elapsed since I had been to either. Her chart is at a plateau. :/

Quoting Nicky2911:

Ask to see your child's growth chart... that thing they keep marking every time they weigh her. Once they weighed my dd (we were doing fine with bf btw) and it showed that after a month she had actually lost an ounce. We went through this whole panic where they had me see half a dozen doctors, lactation consultants, and wanted to weigh her every week. None of it made any freakin sense to me. Plenty of poopy and pee diapers, growing height, happy and satisfied kid who seemed to be on the classic feeding and sleeping schedule. How could this happen.

Finally I insisted on looking at her previous weight gain numbers. Calculated it out and saw a huge error in what they had written down the time before the supposed "weight loss." By their number she would have had to have gained 2 lbs a week or something I don't remember but I do remember that if I ignored that one weigh in and based it on the one before it and the recent ones, she seemed to be spot on (textbook even). They had just put down too big of a number the last time so that when she came back it seemed like she had lost weight. Just saying... if it all seems kinda off to you ask to see the numbers....

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh that sucks about your heart condition. I know exactly what you mean by missing being pregnant and experiencing birth even though my pregnancies were rough. I just think to myself, I made it through two births without any complications. What more can I ask?

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

I think that's great. My hubby wouldn't go for it, but I'm not bent out of shape about it. I am happy with my 3 babies. And it's probably best I don't have another just because I have a heart condition irritated by pregnancy. This last one I was in and out of the ER so many times, and my local EMT's became my second family. Lol. I'm a little bummed to make it official, though. I loved my pregnancies and births. It felt so empowering. I'll definitely miss it!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

MumsTheWord571
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this
You can also try supplementing at the breast. Get a supplemental nursing system. The she gets the extra milk & you get the stimulation.

I do wonder about their last weight being incorrect though. If she went up a size it's unlikely she wouldn't have gained ANYTHING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)