Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fenugreek?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:01 AM
  • 43 Replies

I am going to try to supplement myself with fenugreek but first I wanted to ask my breast feeding friends what their thoughts were on it. Have any tried it?  Did it work for you? did you pair this with oatmeal and Mother's milk tea? 

I have been feeling like I have been lacking in milk production seeing as I have gone from pumping on average 6oz per side to maybe 2 oz per side. Which I am trying to find the underlying cause of this. I think maybe the mini pill could be an issue?? what are your thoughts on this?

Thank you for all of your input!  I hope you ladies are having a wonderful morning (its 3am here) lol 

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:22 AM
The decrease in pump output was due to a normal supply regulation. It is completely normal for pump output to decrease over time. Are you pumping for work? If so, do you pump first thing every morning?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:13 AM
2 moms liked this

It's totally normal to see a decrease in pump output when your milk regulates. The 2 oz is actually normal, on the high end of normal, so there's really no worries about that. If you need it for work, pump first thing in the morning while babe is nursing on the other side when your supply is generally highest. Make sure baby isn't getting overfed from the bottle. Only 1-1.25 oz per hour of separation and no more than 3oz per bottle. The fenugreek did help me to answer your actual question:) I drank the tea and ate oatmeal as well. Almonds and gatorade or coconut water to drink can provide a boost as well.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:16 AM
1 mom liked this
What the above ladies have said. Normal pump out put is .5-2ozs BOTH breasts combined. Anything more is a bonus.

I only ever used fenugreek when I was having my period but it took a day or 2 to notice for me. I found oatmeal worked a lot faster.

If you are pumping for work, make sure you pump every morning including weekend mornings and then aim for every 2-3 hours while away from your LO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this

You don't need fenugreek. It will merely cost you money. Six ounces per side is what we affectionately call "freak of nature" output. **smile** You're at normal perfect levels now.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
2oz per side is double the normal amount. No need for any supply boosters mama, your supply has regulated. :)
Edit** I missed the part about the mini pill. If that pump output dropped as soon as you started the pill, I'd keep an eye on babies diaper count to make sure your supply isn't actually dropping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Did you see a sudden dramatic drop within 24-48hrs of beginning the pill? How often are you pumping and why? Assuming your working how long are you gone and how much milk do you leave? How many diapers are you changing in 24hrs?
mzzlyn
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Fenugreek (pills) made my beats explode with milk, so much in fact that i ended up with mastitis :-(
So if that's the path you choose I'd say make sure you are emptying very very well.
Kayla-Kay
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Right now I'm pumping so other family members (my husband) can feel included, however in January I go back to school for winter semester and I will be gone 4 hours 2 days a week.

My husband says she is nursing 24/7 and I should just give her formula since I'm obviously not producing enough milk for her :(

She usually nurses about 10-20 min per side and then basically just thinks my ninnies are a pacifier lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

The decrease in pump output was due to a normal supply regulation. It is completely normal for pump output to decrease over time. Are you pumping for work? If so, do you pump first thing every morning?

Kayla-Kay
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I'm changing on average 4 wet and 2-3 poopy diapers a day

Which I know is normal but I wasn't sure if she was basically just staying hydrated or not :(

What worries me is the milk oz dropping

From what I've gathered though I'm just fine and ms lulu is just fine

I did call the local lactation consultant but she hasn't called me back so I'm impatiently waiting lol

Quoting melindabelcher:

Did you see a sudden dramatic drop within 24-48hrs of beginning the pill? How often are you pumping and why? Assuming your working how long are you gone and how much milk do you leave? How many diapers are you changing in 24hrs?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Quoting Kayla-Kay:

Right now I'm pumping so other family members (my husband) can feel included,
They are to bathe and diaper. That's how they are to be involved It's interactive and baby will actually register their existance.
however in January I go back to school for winter semester and I will be gone 4 hours 2 days a week.
All the more reason not to give ONE SINGLE DROP when you can just nurse. Trust me here; I stupidly blew what I'd pumped during my leave and had to catch up. Baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour while you're away, NO MORE.

My husband says she is nursing 24/7 and I should just give her formula since I'm obviously not producing enough milk for her :(
If you're changing enough dipes you're producing enough. 6-8 changes per day. Baby is still young and is SUPPOSED to be on the breast all the time. If she wasn't I'd be checking to see if she was still alive.
Thasnks for playing, dad... we have some lovely consolation prizes. Like this mop and dishcloth combo!

She usually nurses about 10-20 min per side and then basically just thinks my ninnies are a pacifier lol 
Perfect. NO MESSING WITH IT.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)