Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning older babies...

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:40 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

A question for moms who weaned their older babies (instead of letting them self-wean): how did you personally know or decide that it was time?

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytam
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I weaned mt DD at 27 almost 28 months, and for me I was just getting uncomfortable. She was also able to go to sleep by herself and was only nursing for comfort. she would only ask for it when i asked if she wanted to go "ny ny". and the main thing was that I was just uncomfortable and ready for it to stop.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You may npt get many answers here to that question. **smile** But no one else's answer to that will fit YOU... you decide it's time by whatever marker you want. Be it age or language skills or you just can't take it any more. There is NO wrong answer. There's no "needed" answer either. It's always at mom's discretion past the one year mark.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't really qualify to answer, but I think it's when you are just DONE.
You aren't weaning to make baby sleep better, to make them less dependent, etc (because weaning won't change those things) you are weaning because you want to be done, plain & simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Larissa makes a very good point here... weaning doesn't change baby. It only removes nursing.

Quoting larissalarie:

I don't really qualify to answer, but I think it's when you are just DONE.
You aren't weaning to make baby sleep better, to make them less dependent, etc (because weaning won't change those things) you are weaning because you want to be done, plain & simple.

kate.oneill
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I wasn't really looking for a "right" answer; just looking for people's personal experiences.  =) 

I'm at a stage with baby where sometimes I want to be completely done with nursing and other times I'm totally in tune with it.  So, in the meantime, we are continuing... Just curious about others' nursing relationships.  Thanks ladies!

Quoting gdiamante:

There is NO wrong answer. There's no "needed" answer either. It's always at mom's discretion past the one year mark.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Mine is 18 months and I'm on that page right now. Sometimes she asks for it, and I say "no." Other times I offer and she says "no." There are really only about one or two times a day where we're both like, "ok, yes." I hear it could go on like this a long time. Since it's mutual, I'm ok work it. I guess we're done whenever it's no longer mutually desired. But I'm following her lead, so it will be her call.

Quoting kate.oneill:

I wasn't really looking for a "right" answer; just looking for people's personal experiences.  =) 

I'm at a stage with baby where sometimes I want to be completely done with nursing and other times I'm totally in tune with it.  So, in the meantime, we are continuing... Just curious about others' nursing relationships.  Thanks ladies!

Quoting gdiamante:

There is NO wrong answer. There's no "needed" answer either. It's always at mom's discretion past the one year mark.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I am very ready to be done but ds is not AT ALL! If I try to wean now(@almost 14 months) he would be miserable so I am continuing for now.
He's gotten to the point where I can't stop the biting & he's always pulling at my shirt to nurse...so I am burnt out!!
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

No Bite! put that toddler down walk out of the room and shut the gate behind you come back in a few min try again if he does it again put him down and leave the room longer it only took my daughter twice to stop and she hasn't bit me since.

Quoting nellyb118:

I am very ready to be done but ds is not AT ALL! If I try to wean now(@almost 14 months) he would be miserable so I am continuing for now.
He's gotten to the point where I can't stop the biting & he's always pulling at my shirt to nurse...so I am burnt out!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM
I've been at the point where ive wanted to wean very badly actually I anxiously look forward to the day my 3yo is done. But I just take it one day at a time, knowing this phase won't last forever and it's a current need of hers so I just carry on
Dvegas
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

My lil one turned 1 years old 1 month ago and I am still nursing at night. I have tried to wean him so i can get some sleep and so I can go back to sleeping in bed with my husband but so far nothing has worked. My husband said he is going to try weaning him over the holiday break by sleeping with him instead of me. If that doesn't work then oh well i will just have to suck it up and keep night nursing until he is ready to stop on his own. I don't have the energy to keep fighting with my lil one anymore and i want to enjoy my time with him. As for my hubby he will have to continue to suck it up and sleep alone since he doesn't want to join in on the co sleeping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)